Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Tuna flapjack treats

I was given this recipe for my Pup Malaika, but actualy the cats enjoyed it so much i thought i'd share,

5oz canned tuna
5oz milled oats (rolled oats? What I would eat for breakfast oats)
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
Half an apple, grated ? any red version, green too sharp, usually
Half a large carrot
Grated Spices from the spice rack ? ground ginger, , Mediterranean herbs ? a good sprinkling of each (teaspoon- ish)
Half pint of water

Instructions: put them all in a big bowl and mix thoroughly, for about a minute. Then tip the mass onto a 12in square baking sheet, lined with kitchen foil (greased). Use the back of a spoon and spread the mix all over the baking tray. It should cover the whole thing. These will be thin treats, not like big chewy bars! Cook in top of oven for 20 minutes at 392 degrees F.

Top should be golden brown. When cooked leave to cool, then cut into one-quarter inch squares. These treats flex, they are not solid. I have tried them in the freezer, they do freeze.

Global Moderator

09-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Re: Tuna flapjack treats

Sounds lovely Shelley but I would advise you leave the garlic out as it is poisonous to cats.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

I'm surprised the cats like it; you can never tell what they will eat. Thanks for posting that; Ms Picky would probably not like it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

I may give it a go - I have a watercress eating cat! Pip runs indoors when I have the watercress out for lunchtime sandwiches! He has to have two or three leaves, but he doesn't like the stalks!

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Sounds lovely Shelley but I would advise you leave the garlic out as it is poisonous to cats.....
Thanks for telling me about the Garlic, Mags. I didn'y realise it's poisonous to Cats. Fortunately Tom and Jerry haven't been poisoned as i didn't add any Garlic or herbs and spices.
I have removed it from the recipe though.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #6

Oh dear, Leia has finally decided she likes cheese, and is very fond of the Boursin with garlic and herbs. She only gets 3 very small pieces; do you think I should stop giving it to her about 3 times a week?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #7

I wouldn't give her any more Eileen. Try her on the Boursin without the garlic and see if she likes that?

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh dear, Leia has finally decided she likes cheese, and is very fond of the Boursin with garlic and herbs. She only gets 3 very small pieces; do you think I should stop giving it to her about 3 times a week?
I think i would try her with some other type of cream cheese, just to be on the safe side Eileen.
She might like St Agur spread if you can get it, it's a very nice Blue cheese spread and i used to use it to pill my poorly Dog.

Global Moderator

10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #9

You can find which herbs are harmful for cats here .... it's better to be safe than sorry

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #10

I think I'll just buy her some plain cream cheese instead, she should like that; I'll keep the Boursin for myself. Thanks for the feedback.