Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #61

Re: Anyone feed raw ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCat
One should always listen to one's inner voice!
Indeed Sage cat indeed! Lol...
I can see why people are drawn to raw feeding, there is alot of rubbish/ harmful rubbish put into commercial cat foods. But raw is not without its own complications, and often have far worse consequences.
I like your style, dip your toes in the water to test before diving in! Very sensible

Cats owned: Ragdoll
10-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #62

Hi All,
I find this thread very interesting. I have 3 dogs and the 2 youngest (Poodles) are fed on raw tripe. Leo goes nuts when they are fed and have often wondered if it would be ok to give him a little bit of it.
When you start to feed a chicken wing do you just leave it with them for a few minutes and then take it away, or just let them eat what they want? Worried about upsetting his tummy. He is a Ragdoll (my first) and I have been told that they have sensitive stomachs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda & Leo

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 short hair black rescues!
Wilki31 is Male
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #63

We feed our cat raw chicken breast (recommended by our vet) and raw fish and loves both. Our cat loves sprats, eyes, bones and all! We also give her regular cat food (not in the same meal I hasten to add).

She did help herself to two FROZEN chicken breasts not long ago just after eating her normal breakfast of a pouch of Felix Senior. Needless to say she didn't need any tea!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
16-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #64

To those of you uncertain on what to feed your cats raw wise i really recommend the book 'natural nutrition for dogs and cats by kymythy R.schultze'

There are two big pointers i can already think of from just reading some of this thread.

Always feed species appropriate, ie. not pig,cow,horse,shark etc.

Organ meat in limited amounts!

Most cats mainly will eat mice,rats,small birds, sometimes larger birds such as piegons and occasionally rabbits. Most people compensate this by chicken and turkey necks, if you dont want to find someone/dont know anyone who will sell or give you piegons,rabbits and rats this is the next best thing.

The quality of the meat is very important, think of how easily we can catch diseases and illnesses from not handling meat correctly. Know your supplier, know how fresh the meat is!
Think back to nature, a cat would kill its meal( okay maybe play with it for a while first) and then eat it, still fairly fresh, warm. room temperature if you like, not just out of a fridge or freezer. hopefully its meal has been running/flying around eating various grasses,herbs,seeds and insects.
Not fed plastics/hormones/anti biotics/its own kind etc (you get the idea!) and been shut up in a tiny cage sat in its own excrement and had masses of andrenaline pumping around its body hours before it was killed. and then stored(frozen) for god knows how long.. everytime food gets frozen some of its nutritional value is lost.

I know that not everyone can manage to buy wild organic £££ etc but i think it just helps to know, to have it at the back of your mind, to think about the food( i mean you are already by considering rawfeeding!) and the quality of the meat, how you feed it etc and if you dont think the meat is very good quality, that the animals might not of been given all the nutrients they needed, then find out about supplementing your cats diet ontop of the meat to make up for all the nutrients lost that would be available in other forms of meat.

I think it is wise to purchase a book on it, that or to speak to someone who has had knowledge of feeding their cats raw, who has fed over a few years.

Because its not just as simple as slinging them a chicken leg( well it is..but it isnt!)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
20-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshep1984
I feed my two a completely raw diet, can't recommend it highly enough.
Can you give hints on getting 3 cats on to a raw food diet? The mum will eat anything raw (found that out when a chicken drumstick walked out of the kitchen one day but her son and daughter are a bit wimpey about the whole thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
20-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #66

Hi Paula

If you don't start them from a young enough age they won't do it.

I do feed mine some raw food, but not their entire diet.

Only 2 of mine will eat raw though.

I'd start with a raw chicken wing each. To make it more appealing (i.e. smell tasty) you can put it in a bowl of boiling water for a few seconds. Not long enough so that any of it "cooks" as that's when the bones become brittle and dangerous........just long enough to release a smell that they won't be able to resist.

You might find that the first time they just lick the wing, rather than attempt to eat it.

Just keep persevering. Chicken wings are very good for their teeth etc

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #67

i have been trying to change my 2 over for a few weeks now, if i put the meat in their bowls they are not interested. but if they can steal it from the dog, they are more than happy!!

i now leave some out in order for them to steal it, and this way i can slowly convert them.

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #68

i found this site http://www.schimmelorientals.com very informative.

Cats owned: British Shorthairs
Darwin is Male
14-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyo
i found this site http://www.schimmelorientals.com very informative.

Crikey! Her poor husband and cats & dogs.

Quote:
Information re Schimmel Orientals

Please note that as of August 2010 Schimmel Orientals are no longer breeding.

Originally it was reported on here that Kat had to return home for a family matter. Unfortunatly this was only posted at the time as no one really knew why she had indeed returned home.

On Thursday 15th July, after taking her disabled husband down to Hampshire, she left him stranded and drove back home, packed her bags and left. It was not until 8.30pm that night that she then sent a text message to say she was on board a plane and heading back to Aus.

She left all the cats, kittens and dogs unattended and caused numerous other problems in what was a clearly calculated departure desgined to cause as much stress and havoc as possible. She has since had very limited contact by text message but has made it clear that she no longer has any interest in any part of the life she created in the UK over the last ten years, and has no intention to return at any time in the near future. She will not be missed by anyone who knew her following the manner at which she left everyone else to clear up the mess behind her, not to mention the distress and shock she has caused to her already very ill husband.

All the Schimmel cats and kittens have now been rehomed with loving families thanks to a wonderful effort by a number of breeders and friends.

To all those that assisted in rehoming these animals along with everyone who ever gave a schimmel fur baby a home over the years we would like to say a big thank you.

Cats owned: moggies
16-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #70

Thats very sad reading, I did look at that site earlier in the year and it was full of instructions and guides on how to feed cats raw.

I slowly converted my two over a period of months, found a meat they enjoyed ie ate without hesitation, and fed that for a couple of days before introducing another type. They are now totally raw fed and are looking very healthy.

It is a slow process with some cats, they are quite stubborn, but even my friends 10yr old has started on raw and is enjoying it, so there is hope for everyone