Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Siberian
za9za00 is Male
02-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #41

Re: Anyone feed raw ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Andrew, I never thought about raw fish. How do you feed it to them....skin and de-bone it first?
Nope leave the skin on and the bones it. My lot won't eat the heads though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattde
legs and carcass , wow make sure you keep them well feed as they might just come after you next.

Thats a good selection of food , how does it work out cost wise?
Costs me about 20p per cat per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Dont forget the organ meat, they need that for the taurine.
Popular mis-conception Taurine is in high abundance in muscle meat, especially heart (classed as muscle for feeding) and in lower quantities in Organ meat. Organ meat is needed for other essential vitamins and minerals especially vit B12

Quote:
Some liver / kidney maybe
They get between 5 and 10% organ, liver, kidney, spleen etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
[url]
There are risks to feeding a raw food diet too, I am still uncertain in which direction to go with this to be honest.
There are risks in all types of food. Hundreds of cats and dogs died and potencially thousands were made ill by pet food contamination in the US 2 yars ago. The same contamination was in chinese baby milk. Someone tryig to make more money by artificially increasing the protein levels in petfood ingredients with melamine.

If you use basic food hygine methods there is little or no risk. There is as much risk of your cat / dog contracting salmonella from dry food as there is from a raw diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Neospora is thought to be mainly caught through raw meat, however I've seen puppies with it that have never had any meat, nor their dam has had any meat.
Proper term is Neospora caninum and it affects dogs and cattle (from my basic knowledge of animal nutrition cows don't eat meat) the general concensus is that this like the cat version Toxoplasmosis (similar parasites) are passed on through feces.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #42

VERY informative. I'm not considering a raw diet, sure this is most helpful to those who might be. Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by za9za00

If you use basic food hygine methods there is little or no risk. There is as much risk of your cat / dog contracting salmonella from dry food as there is from a raw diet.

Really?

Proper term is Neospora caninum and it affects dogs and cattle (from my basic knowledge of animal nutrition cows don't eat meat) the general concensus is that this like the cat version Toxoplasmosis (similar parasites) are passed on through feces.
I am aware of the proper term & noone really knows how its passed on. Yes it is mainly seen in dogs & cattle, but it has been seen in cats. It has not been researched enough for anyone to understand too much about it, but it is well known that it is thought to be contracted through eating raw meat, however I have seen dogs with it that have never had raw meat.

Cats owned: Moggies
ajshep1984 is Male
06-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
Hi ajshep1984 as you might have noticed from my posts a raw diet is what I want to feed my 2 on, so I was just wondering what you feed yours on and can you give me any pointers.
Thanks.
For muscle meat chicken and turkey primarily (all parts as it works out cheaper to buy a whole bird and break it up into meals, same with duck) also beef, lamb, pork, rabbit and duck. Lamb and ox heart, chicken, pork and lamb liver, they won't eat kidneys. They also have an egg (scrambled but raw) once or twice a week between them and they catch their own whole prey fairly regularly.

I don't feed any supplements. They do have mince but only when they steal it off the dogs.

Quote:
Can you give me a typical weeks menu.
Do you only feed twice a day ?
I feed them first thing in the morning and last thing at night and any time inbetween when they ask for it which is usually one or twice a day (each). There's not really a typical menu other than that they get chicken and turkey regularly.

Cats owned: Moggies
ajshep1984 is Male
06-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by za9za00
Nope leave the skin on and the bones it. My lot won't eat the heads though.

Costs me about 20p per cat per day.

Popular mis-conception Taurine is in high abundance in muscle meat, especially heart (classed as muscle for feeding) and in lower quantities in Organ meat. Organ meat is needed for other essential vitamins and minerals especially vit B12

They get between 5 and 10% organ, liver, kidney, spleen etc.

There are risks in all types of food. Hundreds of cats and dogs died and potencially thousands were made ill by pet food contamination in the US 2 yars ago. The same contamination was in chinese baby milk. Someone tryig to make more money by artificially increasing the protein levels in petfood ingredients with melamine.

Good post!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 Domestic mixed breeds
onekidney is Male
10-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #46

Never tried that, but our 5 like hearts and kidneys, which we boil cook before giving too them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #47

Koko obviously feels that raw meat is a toy but not really food. She just plays with it - chicken wings, lamb chop, liver,,,,,,, tried em all raw, not a huge amount just a corner off what I was cooking.

She likes Whiskas and RC biscuits!

Catsey Veteran

10-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokytopaz
Koko obviously feels that raw meat is a toy but not really food. She just plays with it - chicken wings, lamb chop, liver,,,,,,, tried em all raw, not a huge amount just a corner off what I was cooking.

She likes Whiskas and RC biscuits!
Leia feels the same the few times I've given her a bit to try. "Food comes in tins, Mom!"

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #49

Just a sophisti-cat then?

Catsey Veteran

10-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokytopaz
Just a sophisti-cat then?