Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
15-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Camping with a cat

Me and the OH are off next week and for ages we have been planning to go camping with our dogs but theres one problem, we have since aquired Mika(Cat). so my question is has anyone ever been camping with their cat? and if so do you have any helpful tips?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Re: Camping with a cat

This brings back memories! Too many years ago now, I worked as a typesetter at a vanity publisher. One of the books I set was about a couple who travelled around with their cat in a camper van. Can't remember any details though.

Personally, I would be too worried about the cat escaping, doing a runner, making a bid for freedom or just wandering off looking for cat-stuff.

Catsey Junior

15-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

This brings back memories! Too many years ago now, I worked as a typesetter at a vanity publisher. One of the books I set was about a couple who travelled around with their cat in a camper van. Can't remember any details though.

Personally, I would be too worried about the cat escaping, doing a runner, making a bid for freedom or just wandering off looking for cat-stuff.
I am a bit worried myself about her getting lost/not coming back etc. i dont think we will end up going camping. it would interesting to know if any one has actually took their cat camping.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

Could you not buy one of those electronic feeders that can give a few days meals, that way you can still go and Mika will be safe at home having the run of the house

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone
I am a bit worried myself about her getting lost/not coming back etc. i dont think we will end up going camping. it would interesting to know if any one has actually took their cat camping.
Yes, I agree it would but I think the chances may be rather slim, although there was one man I seem to remember who did do that, but unfortunately he isn't posting any longer.

Catsey Junior

15-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Could you not buy one of those electronic feeders that can give a few days meals, that way you can still go and Mika will be safe at home having the run of the house
thats a good idea. didnt think of that one. thanks for suggesting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #7

Any change of a cat-sitter to come by, feed and water her, change litter, etc? I would definitely not try to take her camping; cats hate change, she could easily get frightened, disoriented and run off never to be seen agai ... too risky!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Any change of a cat-sitter to come by, feed and water her, change litter, etc? I would definitely not try to take her camping; cats hate change, she could easily get frightened, disoriented and run off never to be seen agai ... too risky!!!!!!
Agree with Eileen, definitely too risky. Better to be safe and book her into a cattery, or better still have someone to come in to give her fresh food and clean her litter tray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
15-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #9

The only person I knew was a girl I met years ago when I was a circuit digger (archaeologist moving from job to job, usually camping). She was the envy of many of us as she had a camper van which was her home. She had 2 cats she'd had since they were kittens and they were used to moving around, home was the van wherever it was! I don't think it would work with occasional holidays though- it was all the cats had known.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #10

What an interesting story, CS! Thanks for sharing that ... just goes to show people/animals can adapt to anuthing if it's all they've ever known!