Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
14-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Does your cat talk to you?

Does your cat have different meows and and can you tell what he/she's trying to tell you

I can tell the difference between George's "I'm mad at you" meow and his "I love you mum" meow. Milly's got a "what do you want" one and a "feed me immediately before I learn how to use the phone and report you to the RSPCA" meow.

Love my cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
14-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: Does your cat talk to you?

All of my cats have talked to me, from the no-nonsense girl who said "ouw!" in an imperious way for "out" i.e. "open the door you thick human" to Toffee's "E!" in various phrasings. Rover also chatted about all and nothing as we went about our days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

My two aren't really very chatty, Kizzy does use a little prrrrp in greeting and Pip seems to be the strong silent type these days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
14-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

I get various calls. There's definitely the 'foods coming! I want it now!!!' cry aka "HURRY UP MUM!!!" then there's the "I don't like that!" yelp of complaint. And the "Where are you Mummy? I want company" which I get sometimes when she wanders out of the room, or if I'm not quick enough to open the lounge door when I get home. Or if I do so then go to the loo...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

harris is very chatty!! i know when hes hungry or being a toad and not wanting to use his tray when he needs to. He also warbles at night as if to say, "im bored and want to play!!!" Skye has gotten into the habit of jumping up beside me in the middle of the night and meowing as if to say, "mum wake up i want a cuddle"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
14-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

pip is very chatty, especially when he wants grub!! he is a bit of a whinger aswell, he makes funny wee noises all the time, and i often get a wee series of mraows on his way upstairs to greet me in the morning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
14-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

Tolly just uses body language and boy is he eloquent! For example, if he thinks it is food time he simply sits in front of the food bowl and glares.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
14-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

I've just been reminded about the 'birdies, I want to go play with the flying things!' chirrup...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Leia has never been very talkative, but has gotten much more so as she's older. Carolyn noted how chatty she was when she stayed there for two weeks when I was in hospital; and she has talked very frequently to my friend who's helping me pack up for the move.

They seem to have decided we are utterly hopeless at deciphering their subtle body language, so "shout" at us, so to speak.

Two of my boys over the years said "oow" so plainly that there was no chance of misunderstanding that it meant "out". Gotta luv em!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
14-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #10

George was always the silent, body language type but I think he's eventually realised that Milly, who is very vocal, got the message through quicker. Poor George always has been a bit slow on the uptake bless him. Squirrel you made me grin because George has this funny cross between a meow and a purr that comes out as a chirrup. He usually does this one just before he rolls over and does the "cutsie" thing lol. He also has this silent meow where he opens his mouth and his whiskers twitch but no sound comes out. This happens when he's told to do something he's not happy about and I tell him not to answer me back. You know I'm sure they both know exactly what I'm saying to the lol!