Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #31

Re: Elsa update...HELP!!

If re homing were to happen I'm sure Luke would be honest with any would be homes for her. Otherwise it just wouldnt work. Unfortunatly being the re homing side of things honesty is very much appreciated but seldom forth coming.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #32

Hmm, wont let me edit my last post.

Sedatives are very dangerous if given without checking the animal over. I would look into some kind of cage used for ferals, where the vet could give her the sedation in the cage (can't think of hte name, just that it begins with a b), as this needs to be done. How old is she now?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
She is insanely timid...and she does not cope well in vet situations (possibly due to her time there when she was younger?!!?) so she often goes into sheer panic and just looses it..last time she was there to have a tooth looked at she injured her leg by frantically pawing under the consulting room door to escape-this sort of behaviour is most distressing for her and for those who must witness it. The vet was waiting for a time when she was possiblly more settled in herself, so she could "cope" with just being at the vets (let alone the speying itself) without ending up in such a state as previous times.
Luke, Cassie is an extremely timid cat who also hates going to the vet. When she has been unwell and also when she needs her boosters she HAS to go to the vet....timid or not. I would never not take her because she was too nervous/timid. Have you ever taken her to the vet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #34

If she was put into a cat carrier to take her to the vets to be speyed. She can be left in the carrier until such time as the op. Then without any "loved ones" witnessing she can be taken from the carrier by people used to handling animals and then sedated so she can be prepared for the op.

Surely this is fairly straightforward?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #35

Jac-Most definatley so, if rehoming was the next step i would have to be assured 100% that the people knew what they were taking on with Elsa and understood what exactlly her issues were/are.

In regards to the vets...she has been to the vets on a few occasions of being slightly older (was there a lot when younger!) and it allways ends in her being very distressed and she goes off her food for a few days afterwards...usually messes in the carrier as soon as we set foot in the surgery through sheer panic, vet usually ends up cut/scratched in some way, Elsa cries through the whole ordeal-all not v.pleasant but is necesary for her health of course.
Catching Elsa to put her in the carrying cage is difficult, more than difficult its impossible!! Its not nice to have to catch her, cover her in a towel and manoover her into the cage-all the time she is bawling her head off!
Before this gets out hand BTW, things are not in anyway as straight forward as they may sound...just stroking her is a HUGE issue, so catching her is even bigger, putting in a carrying cage even bigger..and so on.
It would seem that we will have to take the risks of what the vet was most concerned about with her and just go ahead with the speying however.

ETA-under no circumstances would her health be in anyway put n jeopardy due to the issues she has and the whole vet thing, just thought i would clear that up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #36

Luke - you say she was in & out of the vets for the first few months of her life, so she obviously associates the vets with bad things - lots of cats do unfortunately. But that's life & the longer she's left - the more likely she will get pregnant, so I'd do it ASAP. I can get a feral cat from my pen into a carrier, (not saying it's easy - but it's fairly straight forward) then the vets transfer them to their crusher cage (sounds horrible - I know) but is just a special basket, from where they can safely anasthesize the cat - prior to the op.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Luke - you say she was in & out of the vets for the first few months of her life, so she obviously associates the vets with bad things - lots of cats do unfortunately. But that's life & the longer she's left - the more likely she will get pregnant, so I'd do it ASAP. I can get a feral cat from my pen into a carrier, (not saying it's easy - but it's fairly straight forward) then the vets transfer them to their crusher cage (sounds horrible - I know) but is just a special basket, from where they can safely aneasthetise (sp) the cat - prior to the op.
Yes smudgley...its also where a few of her 'general' issues come from....people touching her for example. The vet had said about the crusher cage thing being the only safe way for all concerned to aneastetise (sp) her...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #38

Luke it may well be worth asking the vet for some kind of sedative before going. I know they dont like doing it but they will if it's going to be a healthier option for the animal. Does that sound right? Hope so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #39

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with Elsa Luke

If it was me I would have her spayed immediately and then I would rehome her, from what you say (her jealousy regarding the other animals) does all point to her needing a home that is quiet and with no other animals or children I suspect. From what you say about your home life Luke it does sound very busy and I have thought many a time, when you have said about Elsa and her problems, that if her environment is causing a lot of it?

I know it is heartbreaking to even considering having her rehomed but you are very justified in your thinking about the dogs causing her harm if she attacks one of them, and having more than one dog is surely going to increase the likelihood of their "pack" behavior coming out?

Nobody should live in fear of their pets Luke, and although Dawn's words do seem harsh I do agree with her, if Elsa doesn't get spayed and finds a home that she is comfortable with, nobody is going to be able to live with her.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #40

Well we have a decision (for now)....we will book her in for speying ASAP and see how things progress from there...i'm not totally sure if it will resolve things but thats JMO. If there isn't an improvement after speying then we will rehome her. I have question..how on earth will i get her to rest whilst re-couping from the op?!?!
Its going to be near impossible as she doesnt stand anyone near her so how on earth are we to settle her down, stop her attacking her stiches etc?!?!?!?!?!?!!