Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #21

Re: Elsa update...HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
At the risk of getting shouted at, if a pet of mine attacked as you say, unprovoked, it would be PTS by now! Dogs, Cats, makes no odds, a pet that attacks has no place in todays society. Sorry if it upsets, but I feel strongly about this subject.

If a medical reason is found then maybe ok, but certainly not if there isnt, and I think Luke you will find there is nothing wrong with her.
Dawn.
Hi Dawn
You won't get shouted at by me-never in all my days have i ever actually 'feared' a pet..let alone a cat!
I will be popping along to the GP tomorrow as one of the wounds on my hand is all swollen
Will have a chat with mom when she returns home tomorrow...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #22

I dont think PTS should be an option till she has been spayed and given a few weeks for her hormones to settle, as it could make all the difference - and I wouldn't be waiting for the appropriate time anymore, I would be booking her in. I have lived with a cat that attacked for no reason, and it isn't pleasant, I never considered pts, but after 8 months, she sadly died, so the decision was taken out of my hands - I dont know what I would have done if she hadn't become ill.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
I dont think PTS should be an option till she has been spayed and given a few weeks for her hormones to settle, as it could make all the difference - and I wouldn't be waiting for the appropriate time anymore, I would be booking her in. I have lived with a cat that attacked for no reason, and it isn't pleasant, I never considered pts, but after 8 months, she sadly died, so the decision was taken out of my hands - I dont know what I would have done if she hadn't become ill.
I would agree, and I have suggested to Luke on previous occasions and based on Cats I boarded that spaying may help, but Elsa has been like this all her life hasnt she? before any hormones. If Elsa was a dog, would you still think the same? Cats are just as dangerous and more unpredictable.

Yes I would go for the spaying option, but if it were me, I wouldnt be waiting for a specific time, it would be done in the next few days, people shouldnt be put at unessesary risk, especially from their pets.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I would agree, and I have suggested to Luke on previous occasions and based on Cats I boarded that spaying may help, but Elsa has been like this all her life hasnt she? before any hormones. If Elsa was a dog, would you still think the same? Cats are just as dangerous and more unpredictable.

Yes I would go for the spaying option, but if it were me, I wouldnt be waiting for a specific time, it would be done in the next few days, people shouldnt be put at unessesary risk, especially from their pets.
Dawn.
I agree with Dawn on this one, pets of any kind should be a pleasure not something to be afraid of as Luke has already said he is. On another note have you thought about re homing her to a home with no other animals? Not every animal is happy lving in a multi animal house. Do you think she could be getting stressed? Have you tryed putting backs herbal rescue remedy in her water? It may take the edge off her.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
I agree with Dawn on this one, pets of any kind should be a pleasure not something to be afraid of as Luke has already said he is. On another note have you thought about re homing her to a home with no other animals? Not every animal is happy lving in a multi animal house. Do you think she could be getting stressed? Have you tryed putting backs herbal rescue remedy in her water? It may take the edge off her.
Hi jac..
We have tried the rescue remedy a fair few times..it does have a sorta affect, but it isnt last longing (probably doesnt make sense!) We were discussing the issue of rehoming her on Friday as she doesnt seem happy with the lifestyle we lead-other pets, children around the house constantly, a fairly "lively" household and lifestyle in general-its really something that would be a last resort sorta thing..but as you said, pets should never have to be feared-and i will admit it, when concerning Elsa i am!!
She has never been that affectionate...when she first came here she was..'skittish' (pretty normal kitten i guess, but with that something you couldnt quite put your finger on) she was never one for cuddles or sitting on your lap, and allways had this touch of aggression with the other pets...as time went on her behaviour worsened-she has become more timid, more destructive, and more "viscious" (sounds weird using that word in cat terminology!) and its come to a point where our safety, and the safety of the other pets is slightly jeopardised due to Elsa's temperament/behaviour...and due to her temperament/behaviour she is comprimising her safety when concerning the other animals.
I think its going to be round two with her and the dogs soon...she is stomping around grumbling to herself.
I know in my heart of hearts that its my fault-i shouldn't have taken her on. The day we viewed her litter i just had this niggling feeling that something wasn;t right..something didnt add up, but i was assured as she was an aquitance of a relative of mine that the kittens were fine-how wrong was that?!?!?!
And also...i looked at that little round face and my heart melted-she was such a gorgeous kitten, who could resist?!?!
It started off by wanting a "cuddle kitten" and ended up with a nightmare in my lounge!
I'm open to all suggestions of anything to do

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #26

I would book her in TOMORROW to be speyed.

I would then give her a month after the speying to see if it has made a difference.

If there is no difference then the only option is to try and find her a home where she is the only pet/no children around.

Just my opinion Luke.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #27

Thats silly blaming yourself Luke.No one knows how anything is going to turn out. Get her booked in and take it from there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #28

Have read this thread with interest.
I agree, I would get her spayed ASAP. It may change her temperament for the better. I can't undesatnd why your vet is waiting for "an appropriate time" what on earth does that mean? When is more appropriate than tomorrow? There should be no need to sedate her prior to her being taken to the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Have read this thread with interest.
I agree, I would get her spayed ASAP. It may change her temperament for the better. I can't undesatnd why your vet is waiting for "an appropriate time" what on earth does that mean? When is more appropriate than tomorrow? There should be no need to sedate her prior to her being taken to the vets.
She is insanely timid...and she does not cope well in vet situations (possibly due to her time there when she was younger?!!?) so she often goes into sheer panic and just looses it..last time she was there to have a tooth looked at she injured her leg by frantically pawing under the consulting room door to escape-this sort of behaviour is most distressing for her and for those who must witness it. The vet was waiting for a time when she was possiblly more settled in herself, so she could "cope" with just being at the vets (let alone the speying itself) without ending up in such a state as previous times.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #30

Like I said earlier, I have lived with a vicious cat and it isn't pleasant - she would also go for you for no reason whatsoever and both me and Ginger feared her (and awful as it may sound, the house was a nicer place when she went to the bridge, and Ginger was a different cat) - but I would be trying basic things like spaying before considering rehoming her, as I think it is irresponsible not to, esp for the new owners.