Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #1

New vet medicines.

Took my boys for their booster vax this morning. As it happens, Bentley is brewing an abscess on his face/jawline and has a high temperature so couldn't be done today. (I didn't spot the lump, the vet did as soon as he started the pre-vac examination . But, fair-do's, Bentley hadn't shown any sign of being unwell)
Anyway, the reason for this post is to tell of 2 advances (which you probably all know about already )
Convenia (I think) an antibiotic injection which lasts 2 weeks. So, one jab and no pill-pushing, job done.
And Profender, a worm treatment given by a spot appliaction between the shoulder blades. Again, no pill-popping. Always a good thing with cats.

Has anyone else used these? Am I just way behind the times?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2

Re: New vet medicines.

Ive never used them but I have heard of them.
I think Oscar (smudgley's rescue)had the antibiotic injection but it didnt work,could be wrong though,it may have been something else.
Im going to use the spot on wormer next time Jerry needs doing,hes a bleeder when it comes to tablets so it will make worming him alot easier

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
06-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

I not quiet sure about the antibioptic but i have used profender in the past i found it worked quiet well and it was so easy to use

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #4

........... and now Bentley is home and relaxed I can see that he has a giant gumboil on his jaw How embarrassed am I?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #5

At least the vet picked it up before he did the jabs!Hope Bentley recovers quickly!!

I knew about Profender but haven't used it. I also knew there was a long term antibiotic but didn't know the name of it. I'd be interested to hear of anybody's experiences. It makes little difference to me really as I don't have a problem pill popping but I guess these drugs could be a great break through for those of you that do

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #6

I haven't heard opf either of them. The antibiotic will be very useful for tilly as oral antibotics make her sick. Als she is a nightmare to give pills to.
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #7

Profender has been available for as while now but I've not used it.

As for the antibiotic jab, I have no faith in it whatsoever I'm afraid. I can't see how 1 shot of antibiotic S/C can last 2 weeks & I don't think it worked for Oscar, he had 3 injections & still had the infection at the end of the 6 weeks. But I'm always interested to learn more about these things, so do let us know how it works for your baby.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
06-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #8

We used the long lasting antibiotic injection for Izzy when we were going to Cyprus as she had been given some eye cream and then ended up with an awful smelling discharge in her mouth. Not sure if the two were related.
Anyway she was put on the long lasting antibiotic due to us being away and the cat sitter visiting. She would never in a million years have let the cat sitter pick her up let alone give her a pill so for us it was a godsend. It worked and apparently she was back to normal in a couple of days.
The worm one we used on Peapod i'm sure as she is a nightmare to take tablets also and it seemed to do the job as there were no sign of worms

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #9

Cats are brilliant at hiding things DM, I would not have noticed it either!!
Have never heard of those treatments, but will ask when I have Oliver boostered next week...sounds a perfect solution to trying to get pills down them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #10

I've never heard of either, but the 2 week AB sounds like a godsend to those of us who are unable to pill a cat without Armageddon resulting! Will ask my vet if it's available here! Thanks for the very helpful info!