Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Don't start with specs!!!

Really carrying on from Elaine's hair thread - and now she doesn't like her glasses. I am well overdue to have my eyes tested (like a whole year) and I know that I shall have to have new specs.

How do you choose new glasses on your own??? I know they have all that technology to help, but really ..... and if you take a friend how do you trust them not to persuade you that something suits you better that you'll regret later when you get them? And they are so expensive!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Re: Don't start with specs!!!

Have to admit it is my pet hate too.

I usually try to visit a few shops first to see what is around and to try a few styles. People in the shop will give opinions and I have found they'll say pair one is nicer than pair two etc.

I have tried dragging OH with me but he is more likely to say he likes or dislikes the glasses, not if they suit me.

I try not to get something too fashionable or OTT. If you think your current specs suit you then get a pair that are similar in shape but maybe different colour.

If you really like the ones you have just get new lenses.

Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Well, I just know the general style I like, so look at the display racks and pick out 3 or 4, try them on and can usually decide. But this time I fell in love with the style Sarah Palin was wearing on TV, so got those ! The optician said they were selling like hotcakes!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #4

I have a great optician and I trust their judgement on what suits and what doesnt, they also offer to put in contacts for you so you can see what the specs look like on you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #5

Asoon as I needed spec's for driving, I started using contacts, just do not suit spec's at all....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

I can't do the specs thing either.
Extended wear contacts do it for me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #7

I did spend a fair bit of money on some squarish prada trendies last year but then my prescription changed so I can only really use them around the house. However in reality they are only for occasional usage as I love my contact lenses and would never wear glasses full time.

If I ever have enough spare money and enough courage I'd go for laser treatment!

In terms of choosing a style - I had a type in mind it was just getting the colour and exact shape right. There are rules which relate shape of face to shape of glasses and any good dispensing optician should be able to advise on this. Probably a quick web search will give you some pointers. And some of the more advanced opticians have software where they scan your face and you try 'virtual' glasses on

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #8

Poppy has just been diagnosed (how, I really don't know) with long sighted vision and at 2.5 years of age will need glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth am I going to keep them on her and without them breaking?????

Poor wee poppet....sorry I digress

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #9

I feel for Poppy. I had to wear glasses from age 7 and my mum did from age 5. I have worn some horrendous objects over the years - and they weren't all my own choice either!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #10

I got mine at age 6; was very good about not breaking them, as it was like a miracle to me to discover that things weren't naturally blurry but could actually be seen clear and sharp past about 3 feet. Severely nearsighted.