Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
18-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #11

Re: Meep's Home Improvements

P.S. Sorry my reply is rushed! Will respond later to you all when I have the paint safely home

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #12

If you don't want to create a dado rail you could use a wall paper border part way up the wall. You need to be careful to match the colours to compliment rather than contrast otherwise it may look a little 80s. However, dado isn't difficult to apply - if you use a narrow one you could even glue it with the 'no more nails' stuff

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #13

Or you could separate 2 colours using masking tape. Measure it carefully, put a level line of tape at the appropriate height, paint one of your colours. Allow to dry (well), peel off masking tape. Measure again and put more tape around the wall but this time up or down an inch or so, so that it's only covering the new paint. Paint the wall and this time get the masking tape off as quickly as you can. Use very low tack tape and peel it off very carefully. It may well bring a flake or two of colour number 1 off, so you'll need an artists paint brush just to touch up any imperfections.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide

Almost a Veteran Member

18-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #14

Thanks for the advice Yola and DM - very useful! I've bought six samples of paint, and of those four of them could be paired up, and two are just single colours for he whole wall. They're all from the same 'colour' just tones lighter, rather than contrasting, so no 80s glare for me Yola I asked the guy in the paint shop about Dado rails and he mentioned the 'no more nails' one. Sounds promising! I'll have to run it past my landlord first. If need be, and he's not keen, we could just do DM's suggested of painting two colours, and carefully make them meet in the middle with masking tape etc. But of the 6 colours, or 3 pairs, of colours I've bought, I could make a whole wall of a few of the colours so keeping my options open

I went for Grecian Garland 4 (green), Pharaohs Gold 1 and 2 (rich gold), California Sands 1 and 3 (a nice set to two-tone), and Golden Rambler 3 (for whole wall, hopefully it's quite bold but warm).

The bathroom is now drying with it's first coat on It looks so much better already, when painting on the fresh white I could see the stark contrast between the old white and new white, the old white looked almost grey! Part mildew and part age and dirt. Second coat of paint in half an hour or so, then I'm sorted! Although will need to wait till it's dried thoroughly before I can get a shower to get all this paint off my arms

Darcy was certainley not impressed by me shutting the bathroom door at all. Normally if I go for a shower he'll mew a little bit at the door, but he persistenly yowled and scratched at varying degrees from pitiful to manic for a good half hour until he gave up. He hates to shut out from a room if someone's in it! Once I'd finished the first coat, I came out and looked around for him, to find him asleep on my clothes that I'd taken off so I could get changd into my old painting clothes, looking very content. Such a soulk and clingy boy! He was also very happy to see me with lots of purrs. I mean, where does he think I could have gone, out the window?!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #15

Meep, for all he knows you might have teleported, like BM's boy! Bless him, he's such a mummy's boy! Glad things are going so well for you paintwise; can't wait for pics of the before and after!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #16

It all sounds very rich and glamorous Meep, the colours remind me of somewhere with a sunken bath in a palatial temple type of place. Talking of Pharoah's, will you be bathing in asses milk from now on then?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
18-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #17

Pharaohs Gold 1YAH!! thats was my fav choice!!

hows it all going?

we didnt do any painting today........... or end up buying anything!! *sob!* x

Almost a Veteran Member

18-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #18

And the last coat is up! And everything is packed away and all paint has been washed off - hurrah!

Darcy really didn't let up on his attention seeking. After I emerged I went to the kitchen to wash my hands etc. and he jumped onto the work surface, and started head-butting me like crazy, then actually tried to climb onto my shoulder, and failing that, leaned on it whilst licking my neck Whilst he loves being picked up, he's never tried to be picked up before. He was evidently feeling the need for some love. So to excuse my bad behaviour I gave them both some tuna

I've not put up the testers for the hall yet partly as I can't face any more paint, and partly as I don't want to have big splodges on the wall for a whole week. I won't be able to get to the paint shop til next weekend so will put them up Thursday, can thinking about them over Thurs / Fri and buy on Saturday

I'll put up before and after pics of the bathroom tomorrow once it's dried and everything is back in place. It's not as exciting as the hall as it's just white, but the difference in the brightness and freshness of the white is wonderful; not sure how well that will show up on camera, but now I can have a nice hot relaxing bath in a completely shiney clean bathroom

And I wouldn't put it past Darcy to teleport

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #19

All sounding good now...........look forward to the pictures.

Almost a Veteran Member

19-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #20

Photo time! Like I said,these aren't very exciting. Just a white-walled bathroom, running along the before and after theme of "mildew / no mildew, mildew / no mildew". But still the fruits of my labour! I'm far more excited about the sample colours for the hall, as they're so bold and bright, but bathroom photos first:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I also washed the shower curtain with bleach, to get rid of a few pesky mildew stains, so can now have a nice hot bath tonight in a completely clean bathroom