Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #11

Re: Bulbs anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Ooops, isn't there anything you could scatter round them DM to deter the little ***!!!
Maybe, but haven't found it yet! Have tried: moth balls, cayenne pepper, coyote urine. and Small Critter Repellant. To no avail.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #12

If I can get to garden centre in time I'm going to try chionodoxa and Emperor tulips perhaps in a tub in a sheltered spot. They were suggested by dandysmom and I looked them up, thought they would be worth a try.

I already have loads of daffs and snowdrops in this garden which must have been here for years as they are really well established and are a blaze in the spring. I'd love to grow lily of the valley but last twice it has just not survived the slugs, rabbits and hare. Don't know how it would do in a tub.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #13

Oh, I'm pleased you're going to try those; hope they do well! I'd suspect lily of the valley would do OK in a tub, they're pretty tough; could you cover the tub with netting till they get established, or would the hares/rabbits get at them anyhow?

Or you could try some of the squirrel deterrents I listed above...maybe the rabbits aren't as determined as the awful grey squirrels!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh, I'm pleased you're going to try those; hope they do well! I'd suspect lily of the valley would do OK in a tub, they're pretty tough; could you cover the tub with netting till they get established, or would the hares/rabbits get at them anyhow?

Or you could try some of the squirrel deterrents I listed above...maybe the rabbits aren't as determined as the awful grey squirrels!
We get the odd squirrel but not enough to warrant the damage done. I think most is done by the hares. If I do a tub I usually net it until it gets going.

Noticed today that the philadelphia has been 'trimmed' by something with teeth. Think I need to net the whole place. We would have to get in through a double net system

Looking forward to seeing how the chionodoxa and Emperor tulips do. Still considering some crocus.

CM