Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #1

help fomr any1 who knows about exotics

Well,as I am sure you all know I have a flat faced exotic ( is that open or closed face, i always get mixed up)

since we got him he has sneezed. ANd i mean sneezed!
he has some gross habbits, like blowing huge globs of erm........nose slime, into your face!
And he gulps down his boogies too ( sorry!!), you know how men hock em back and spit em out ( yyyeeeeuukk).
He has huge blobbs of snot all the time. Sometimes it is a brownish colour, which i am told is nothing to worry about. Sometimes it is blood stained or looks like blood.

He has had 2 courses of tablets from vet for "winter virus" but is still doing it.

Is there anything i can do to help him? and is this a sign of an underlying medical condition?

Would very much apprecaite some help.vet just keeps saying he prob always going to do it, and he may have had cat flu b4 we got him and this can be a result, but im not sure what to think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #2

Re: help fomr any1 who knows about exotics

My daughter's exotic - oriental not flat face - was the runt of the litter and had had flu before she got him.
He is exactly the same. She has to wipe down all her surfaces, mirrors, windows etc every day.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think that's what happens.
My old vet - before I moved - had a beautiful lilac oriental who always had two thick candles dribbling from his nose. He said it was because of early infection. If a vet can't sort it in their own cat I don't think there's much hope..................

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #3

ok, thanks for that. I was worried maybe it was a sign of something more serious.

You should see my duvet, i ahve to change cover everyday cos he sleeps on it withme at night and splatters it lol. bless!!!
thanks again, apreciate your time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #4

My exoctic's don't sneeze like that CJK. they are alaways snuffly because of their flat noses, and prone to sticky eyes off and on, but I think what you are describing sounds more like a flu type thing, I would take him back to the vets.....

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #5

we been three times about it since we got him, and last time they did nothing but say oh wel thats him. I'll try again though. actually we going to the CAW on tues, can ask them there

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
we been three times about it since we got him, and last time they did nothing but say oh wel thats him. I'll try again though. actually we going to the CAW on tues, can ask them there
Maybe you should get a second opinion CJ.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #7

If I were you I would go to another vet. Any animal that brings up or passes blood stained yuk needs attention. It is not natural!
I have been arround exotics, and while they tend to be a bit snuffley, dont display the symptoms you describe.
Is he vaccinated?

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #8

no he sint vaccinated yet. He was 17 weeks old when we got him, and was unwell then.
Since then everytime we go vets they say they want to wait to vaccinate him as he still unwell.
There are several different vets there, with my bunnies i've seen four diff ones so far, maybe i can try seeing a diff vet,see what he/she says.
HE's eating and drinking and playing, so seems fine in everyway, and is definatly livelier than when we first got him, so has improved, but i just snt convinced he was completely right.
Worth anoth try though.
thanks for the advice all

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #9

Hope you can get bit sorted out CJ, before you get your new kitten..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #10

I dont have any advice, but agree with Moli to get a second opinion.

Misty, my moggy, had sniffles and sneezes when I got her. She was in a sad and sorry state anyway - underfed and mishandled. A course of antibiotics as a precaution was recommended and she has been fine ever since. But she is just a moggy.