Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

26-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #1

Questions about showing

Hey,
I was considering showing Rocket under the household pets as he is a very chilled out cat. I went on the GCCF site and they don't seem to provide any info for beginers.
Do you keep them in their carriers? Or a pen? Do you buy the pen or is it provided for you? Do you need to bring food/water/litter? How long are they in their carriers/pens? About how much money should I withdraw?

Thanks! As you can see I have no idea at all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #2

Re: Questions about showing

I have no experience of showing cats either CM yet, must say it is something that I would like to have a go at so I too will be interested to hear the replies to your questions

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
27-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #3

right this is what i think i know
you have to get a pen/crate a white litter tray with white litter a white water and food bowl and a cat hehe i dont know how much it would cost sorry. how is your cat about having a bath? cos all show cats are bathed a few days before a show

Catsey Junior

27-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #4

He wouldn't be thrilled but I'm pretty sure I could talk him round! Where do pen/crate from? What size?

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #5

u can get them off ebay i dont know what size sorry

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #6

I was speaking to someone today who shows her cats regularly and she says that the pens are provided you just need to provide everything else and that everthing has to be white, including the litter tray and litter

Catsey Junior

27-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #7

Thats weird. What if your cats aren't used to crystal litter?

I bought a ticket to the show in Olympia anyone coming? I don't think I'm entering Rocket, Mica would be really upset if left on her own. Too bad because when I approach breeders they could have seen that Rocket is well taken care of.

Catsey Veteran

29-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #8

it also depends on the show the Gccf or the tics (i think that what the second 1 is) i know the Gccf is all white

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest
30-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #9

Hi
We used to show our Maine Coon Boys with what used to be the Cat Association but I think is now Felis Britannia, they have a web site. Did once or twice with GCCF too. The other posts are correct, the GCCF insist on everything in hte cage being white and you have to remove food for the judging time. So your cat is left in it's cage with water and litter tray. If you want to get things to use in white then just go to a GCCF show and there are stalls where you buy everything. The best show I go to is at Olympia in London in early december. It's a great day out to see all the different cats and spend lots of money.
Showing costs depend on how many classes you enter the cat for, there are a couple of compulsory ones that costs about £20-£30 I think and then smaller "side" classes that costs a few pounds each to enter. They are all defined by age, sex, breed, colour etc. It's a good idea to talk to a breeder perhaps whose shown for years and they will explain everything.
The Cat Association shows we used to do were great because you could decorate the cage in colours or themes and some shows even have a prize for best dressed cage!!!
The GCCF shut everyone out of the hall for a couple of hours in the morning whilst they judge but the Cat Assocaition judge the cats indiviually and you can hear what the judges thinks and says about your cat. It can be very informative but my first time t was sooooo nerve racking, just in case the judge said it was just abundle of old fluff you have!! he he he I don't care, they are my babies whatever.
Sorry for going on but if you want to PM me I can answer any questions if I can.
cheers

Catsey Veteran

30-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #10

What date in December is the show at Olympia this year?