Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
18-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #1

Why does it cost so much too neuter/spay your animals

This morning i phoned my vet up to ask about the price for a neuter/ spay for the rabbits. They quoted £72 for a female and £50 for a male. So i phoned around others an the price varried from £35 -£56 for a male and £35-£93 for a female. I will get them done but, i hold my hands up and i think Angel is pregnant. If she is i have already found homes for them i am going to keep two and i will get the both done as soon as she is able to be done. I have had rabbits in the past but never neutered/spayed them. I also have sent off for vouchers for Chester and Troy to be castraited and they will be done as soon as get them. I know a lot of you will be angry and annoyed but this was not a planned litter if there is one. Phonning around this morning i can understand why some people dont do vaccines and spay and neuter rabbits I think that people see that a rabbit is cheap to buy so why should we take it too the vet. What is all you oppions good or bad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #2

Re: Why does it cost so much too neuter/spay your animals

The costs will vary from vet to vet and will be dependent on them covering their overheads and being able to make a profit. Salaries for the vet themselves, nursing staff, medication, property overheads all need to be covered. And on top of all this they need to make a profit in order to continue in business!

I think all pets need to be neutered unless there is a need to breed from them. And by need I mean someone running it as an honest and ethical business or for showing. It's something I feel quite strongly about. There is a responsibility on the sellers too - be their retailers or private sellers, but unless and until this is legislated it will always be impossible to 'police'.

I'm not going to sit here and condemn you as it's not my way. However, I know it sounds harsh, but if you (not you specifically, but generally) can't afford the cost of neutering your pet or indeed vet bills you really need to question whether owning a pet is in the best interest of the animal.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

My circumstances have changed since we got the cats at least. We have moved house which is rented which was doubled the price to stay in the villiage for the cats. and I have regained custody of my daughters and my 19year old son has come back as well. With the rabbits i have all the hay,bedding,and straw given too me i only provided the food. Simon and Guinness are on food that costs £28 a month. I know you wasnt getting at me but i though i would give you some information about my situation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

I have to agree with what Yola has said. I think every one here knows how strongly I feel about neuter and spay issues so I wont get on my soap box.
A rabbit may be a cheap pet to buy but prospective owners should be aware of the importance of neuter and spay as well as the need for veteranary care when and if required.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

Possibly a dumb question, but is there something similar for rabbits like CP, where you can get a voucher for spay/neuter? There must be rabbit associations on line, maybe you can Google and find such a place????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

I agree with you Yola and Elaine, but does that mean people who are on low incomes shouldn't be afforded the companionship of a pet? We all know the importance of speying etc, but vets don't exactly make it easy for people do they, when the charge such exorbitant rates!! If things continue as they are, then only the wealthy will be able to afford animals.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

I agree with what you all say. I went to a private vet before simon became poorly and had to rush him too the vets in the early hours and then found out i qualified for help at the PDSA. I have never had injections done at PDSA only guinness and Simon go there. I would have still taken them as they are a bit part of my life. I have seen people there that have just come off holiday, people who take other peoples animals in there name. I deeply care about my animals and they all get equal care and i would take them straight away too the vets if they need it whatever the cost.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #8

I have heard loads of stories about people who use the PDSA under false pretences, they should be ashamed of themselves as far as I am concerned.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

I dont think they have a good checking policy. If you get housing benefit or council tax even a penny you can get help. You only can take three animals there if you lose an animal you can regester another after 6 months you also have to be reregestered after 6 months as well. I also found out today that the RSPCA also helps out with vet bills dont know how that works though. I owe the PDSA my gratiude for saving my Simon and guinness life if it wasnt for them at the time i could have lost them. If i had to pay to go there i would i always donate, they know the cats and all love them too bits.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #10

On the other had there are people who genuinley can't afford pet care and who get rejected by the PDSA . . .

Alex, it's not about being wealthy, it's about priorities. Many people will refuse to live without the Sky box, their ciggies, their booze and their takeaways and will then plead poverty and an inability to treat their pets at a vets. Yes, there are those than suffer genuine hardship - my Mum's a pensioner, on a very basic state pension with a tiny NHS monthly pay out. My brother and I help her with her cat's meds and vet visits.

There are also vets who will do payment plans. And then of course there is pet insurance. For most things (apart from routine innoculations and neutering) insurance plans will pay out. These can start at about £9.00 a month . . . now if you can't afford that surely you can't afford the pet food either!!!