Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #1

Dirty Rabbit!!!

My daughter has been given a rabbit for her birthday

Any advice on looking after him? He is a lionhead rabbit(?) and looks a bit of a mess to be honest. He is apparently young and has a big chunk of ear missing but looks healed ok. He had lots of matting in his "mane" which we have cut out.

My biggest worry is that he seems to be very dirty down below. All wet sawdust stuck to his back feet and legs and privates

At the moment he is in an indoor home but will buy a proper hutch for the garden when the weather gets better and I know he is healthy and its warmer. Also want to take him to the vets before I let him in the garden for injections/health check.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
21-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Dirty Rabbit!!!

Donna give him a little soak in some warm water, if you have any pet shampoo use a bit of that, or baby shampoo. Sounds like he was very uncared for in his previous home

Have you made an appointment to get him checked over at vet? I would if I were you just to make sure he's healthy and stuff like that

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #3

I have heard that rabbits do not like washing and you can scare them too much if you try to wash them.

Am hoping to get him to the vets on Friday so will get injections/check up then, but would like to take him clean - otherwise vets will think I a bad mum!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #4

Donna he should be fine with a bath. I had to bath Smudge recently when he had that problem with his bits and pieces and he was absolutely fine. I think it a very good idea to get a vet check up. Where has he come from?

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #5

Donna if you make sure you are pretty quick he should be fine. I bath mine occasionally when they have been outside

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #6

....if you really don't want to you could just wipe him down with a few baby wipes (non scented...)

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I have heard that rabbits do not like washing and you can scare them too much if you try to wash them.

Am hoping to get him to the vets on Friday so will get injections/check up then, but would like to take him clean - otherwise vets will think I a bad mum!!
Donna I assure you that the vets have seen some very commonly disgusting things with dirty rabbits, much much worse than a dirty bottom If you wanted to speak to your vet first i'm sure they wouldn't think you were a bad owner.

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Donna he should be fine with a bath. I had to bath Smudge recently when he had that problem with his bits and pieces and he was absolutely fine. I think it a very good idea to get a vet check up. Where has he come from?
He came from Pets at Home. Its her birthday in a month and she has been on about a rabbit for ages. He just looks a bit uncared for so wanted to spruce him up a bit - its hard to handle him when he is all messy around the back end!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
21-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #9

Donna, I dont want to alarm you but get him to the vet. There is a nasty condition called wet tail. Really infectious. Pets at home had this condition not that long ago. Dont know if they use the same "breeder" for all there stores.

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #10

I used to have rabbits years ago and I have heard of this infection Jac. I have now given the buns a bath in my sink - just an inch of warm water. It was mainly his back end so he was half in and half out, but he let me manipulate the fur around the bottom and pull away the dried on dirt. It was mainly sawdust and caked on poo!!! I have got his feet really clean, and most of it from his bottom end! The problem is that he is a lionhead rabbit and they have extra long fur so it gets dirty and needs brushing and cleaning more than the average bun!! I am planning to take him to the vets on Friday for a check up/chat with the vet.