Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #1

What kind of collar?

Hi - thought I'd ask if your cat wears a collar, what kind do you buy.

Alfie has one with the elastic stretch bit in it. He regularly manages to lose it and I think it is probably a game that he now plays. (just costs a fortune in id and reflectors!!)

I will soon buy one for Kinsi and noticed there are new 'pull apart' ones. I felt you needed quite a bit of oomph to get it apart so was a bit unsure.

What do you use, any views.

Thanks

CM

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #2

Re: What kind of collar?

Cassie has always worn a safety collar with a pull away catch.

The collars with a bit of elastic on them can be dangerous if they were to get caught on a branch, piece of wire etc. I learned my lesson with Sam, my previous cat.......he was missing for a day and came home with one of his front paws through his collar (which was still around his neck!). He had obviously got his collar caught on something and had been trying for ages to release himself......he must have almost strangled himself in his attempt to get free. From that day, all his collars went in the bin and I vowed never to use one like that again, new ones must have a safety release catch on it.

Admittedly Cassie has come home a few times minus her collar but I don't mind at all as I know it must have caught on somewhere and she was released without harm.

Here's a previous thread discussing collars........

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...Safety+collars

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

thanks Mags - never thought about the paw stuck thru' scenario.

WIll have a look at the release ones more closely, maybe the one I tried was just a fluke as it was quite hard to pull it apart.

Off to look at the other thread now, thanks for that

CM

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #4

Ok - Having read all the previous collars post I've now taken the elastic collar off of Alfie and will be ordering a few of the safety release ones. Thankyou so much.

Just goes to show, I've had my own cats since I was 17 and I have obviously been so very lucky as they have all worn the elastic ones. Never again.

CM