Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #1

Declining bird population!!

I wonder what most of you make of this. In my local paper, the Shropshire Star, there has been a 'debate' running in the letters pages for the last few weeks. It is over the declinging number of sparrows ets that you see in gardens nowadays! Now many arguments have been put forward by various people, but last week some numpty (as we say in Glasgow) decided to put the blame on cats! According to this individual, people have too many cats now and they aren't being kept under control. The lady who replied to this letter in tonights paper made the very good point that the likely cause of it is actually the destruction of natural habitat by house developers, others have said the fact that people have overdeveloped gardens contributes, and still others that the pesticides used in gardening have led to a decline by depriving the birds of their natural foods. Whatever the answer, I'm not letting the poor cat get the blame

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #2

Re: Declining bird population!!

I'll go for destruction of habitat and increased pesticide use. Most cats I've known aren't real great bird catchers...mice, yes....sounds as if an anti-cat grump wrote that letter! Are they referring to the common English sparrow?: They're rife here, I have a huge flock of them at the bird feeder eating me out of house and home. bless 'em!

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #3

Send them over here quick Eileen, keep people from arguing, lol!

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #4

But I'd miss the noisy, greedy little things, and besides, they're Leia"s "reality TV"...she watches them from the porch in mild weather!

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #5

they are great to watch aren't they. I have lot that come to my hedges where I have my bird feeders, if more people put these things out, there wouldn't be a problem!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #6

In the last couple of years a disease called "Tricomoniasis" or canker has killed umpteen thousands of finches and other garden birds. Its a disease carried by wood and feral pigeons and collared doves, all vermin species, but have become garden birds now, the disease now affects the finches. Last year we found approx 150 dead birds at work and had the bodies analysed and this disease was confimed. According to the RSPB this disease reached epidemic proportions last year and is now affecting several species, perhaps you could mention this to the paper that is printing rhubarb!! I can provide you with proof too.
dawn.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

oh that would be good Dawn, I would love to write into the paper with that. If you could provide me with a link that would be great!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
12-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #8

Right, do you want pics too? I have pics of dying birds, and of dead ones. Not pleasant but proof, I can also give you the name of the person that carried out the post mortoms and diagnoses on the birds, who is using the photos for her future presentations. I will also find you links too.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #9

That would be great, Alex! Send that info to the paper and it should put an end to the debate...good for Dawn with coming up with the data....Bravo, Dawn!!

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #10

I was only going to write to the papers letter page, but if you can provide photos I will contact them and see if they actually want to do an article about it.