Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #11

Re: Nice, heavily scented plants?

I must confess to not being a fan of roses. I think they are too precious, and take too much work for too little return. I do enjoy those fleeting weeks when they are in bloom though, especially if they are scented.
Have a look at the scented variety of Mahonia. It is an evergreen, with leaves a little like holly - dark and glossy and strong, though not actually prickly. Then, in deepest darkest winter, they produce gorgeous pale yellow flowers, which hang in deep errr, things, err (they may be called racemes or something like that) like wisteria blossom. And they have the most beautiful scent. Cheer you up on a cold grey day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #12

Whilst I do agree about some roses DM, rosa rugosa varieties need hardly any care at all, not like pruning shrub or hybrid teas. I am quite a rose fan because my dad had them and used to get a work colleague around in the spring to prune them. I learned at an early age how to and they have never held any problems for me.

I do like Mahonia and agree that they smell delicious in the winter and need very little care.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #13

I had a rosa rugosa hedge years ago, couldn't wait to get rid of it as it was lethal ........... ok I suppose if you want a barrier..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #14

Eileen there are so many lovely ones on there, now I will have a hard time choosing which. I love the Rosa Mundi and the Tuscany Superb.

I do like the Mahonia too though now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #15

I have a Mahonia, had it for years, and mine is NOT fragrant! Variety unknown, dug it up as a seedling. But it is low maintenance and the flowers are indeed lovely in late Winter! It can get tall, mine's about 6 feet.

DM, the old roses like the Gallicas, Damasks, etc. aren't at all fussy and high maintenance like hybrid teas. Perhaps that's why they've persisted for centuries. And most are fragrant.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
26-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #16

How about honeysuckle? My Grandad has it growing up his trellace. When in flower in smells beautiful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #17

Oh yes, nothing nicer on a warm summer evening than a waft of honeysuckle on the air - but you'd need something to grow it up, a trellis or obelisk/wigwam of cane etc.

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #18

I agree, the scent of honeysuckle on a warm Summer evening is marvelous; but it can be invasive, at least the common honeysuckle vine ... will take over the yard if you let it. I thought the landscapers had uprooted it all, but it's coming baaaack!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #19

No - stop - too many choices, I want to do them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #20

LOL, always the way! Narrow it down to the ones you like best then check for availability at your garden centre or on line. You don't want to set your heart on something and then can't locate a source!