Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
10-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

2 kittens better than one?

i was just talking to a friend and telling her about Harvey. She was saying that 2 kittens is better than one?

im hoping that the kitten will bond with indie somewhat, like tao did.
i know u can never tell how they will get on or to what extent, but my own thoughts were one kitten is more likely to want to interact with indie, whereas 2 will probably just play with each other.

Im not that keen on the idea of having 2, so is it just down to personal preferance or do they do better in pairs?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #2

Re: 2 kittens better than one?

It's personal choice. I personally would rather have two kittens together but I have been told that Bengals can be a difficult breed and don't always tolerate other cats very well so wouldn't know if having 2 kittens in this instance would be a good thing or not

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

Single cats live just as long and happy lives as two together. If your kitten grows up on his own then he will know no different - two kittens are nice but if you only want one have one.

Catsey Senior

10-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #4

if its best for the kitten, then i would do two. but if it makes no difference either way id rather do one.

Im also wondering what effect it will have on indie either way. as i said, i want the best chance possible that the kitten will bond with indie, and in the absence of a kitten playmate will seek indie out for play.
this might not be the case, but wouldnt 2 kittens just play with each other and thus have no need to bond with indie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #5

When I got Broxi we only had a dog in the house, no other cats, and he was an only kitten. Tia was a bit wary of him at first, but they became good playmates for each other, so I would say there is a good chance Tao and Harvey will play well together. Only get 2 kittens if you really want to!

Catsey Senior

10-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #6

hi alexgirl,
tao was the kitten we got last yr who sadly died a week after getting him.
im hoping the new kitten will bond with indie (our staffie) like tao did, and hoping it is more likely if he is an only kitten

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Sorry Jenny, I meant to say Indie! Broxi was 8 weeks old when I brought him home (well that was the official story, looking back I think he was younger). Tia as I say was a bit wary for the first week or so, but they ended up bonding well. Used to chase each other all over the house, in fun, and lie beside each other licking the other. It was cute when Broxi would climb into Tias bed and go to sleep beside her, so cute!! I wouldn't worry too much, I think they'll be fine, especially if Indie bonded with Tao so well. x

Catsey Senior

10-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #8

thanks alexgirl.
i think i'll stick to the one, hopefully they will keep each other company

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #9

Well Jenny - I've got 2 and they each get on well with Dinah, and interact differently with her actually - one feisty, one tarty! They obviously also have great fun doing 'cat things' with each other. However, watching them with D, I have the feeling that if I only had one kitten/cat, he would have bonded quite strongly. They certainly all enjoy each others company.
I got 2 because a) I knew this would be the last time I took on a kitten and I wanted to experience the fun of 2 growing up together and b) I didn't want a single kitten to bother my old (16) Siamese, who can do without that sort of nonsense.
You should do what suits you, and enjoy it! Keep us posted.