Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

what to ask breeder and what to expect

im going to visit the bengal kitten on tuesday.

are there any questions I should be asking the breeder when im there?
and what sort of questions might the breeder ask me?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Re: what to ask breeder and what to expect

Two things come immediately to mind: what food is he eating, and what litter is he used to. You can gradually change those later, but when he's in a new strange home will settle in better with what he's accustomed to. Sure there are other things that someone else here will think of! He is such a little cutie, have you settled on a name yet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #3

Things to ask the breeder...
Are the kittens going to be registered & vaccinated. Have they been healthy or have they needed any vets treatment. Are there any health problems in the pedigree. What flea/worm treatment will they have before leaving. What are they weaned onto. The breeder should also be happy for you to see the mum of the kittens. The premises should be clean. Have a look in the litter trays for any evidence of diarrhoea and look at the kitties bottoms they should be nice and clean as should their eyes and noses. The kittens should be alert and interested. Avoid choosing a kitten that shys away from you or hides. But bear in mind that they might be a little 'surprised' when you first arrive. Wash your hands before handling the kittens.

Things the breeder might ask you...
What is your experience of owning cats and indeed your understanding of the special needs of owning a Bengal. Will your cat be a house cat and if not how safe is the area you live in to let a cat out. What other pets/children/household members will the cat live with. The breeder will consider the kitten as one of her babies and will be understandably anxious that it is going to go to the right home. You need to reassure her that her baby will be safe, well loved and well cared for and that it will receive medical attention as and when necessary.

I am sure there are loads of other things I will think of and others may think of. These are just the obvious things off the top of my head.

Good luck and enjoy!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #4

thanks guys.

so far i already know the kittens will be vaccinated and registered, and he will be 13 weeks when i can take him home.
going to ask about food and litter definetely.

Didnt think about vet visits they might have had and health problems in the breeding line, so will write that one down! oh and the worming treatment too.

im a bit worried about what shes going to ask me as she hasnt asked anything yet. Although I did email her some info about me, where i live and that i have a staffie etc.
We dont have a garden, so he will be an indoor cat, do you think this might be a problem?

oh and we still havent settled on a name, doh

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #5

I think I may be tempted to ask if it would be alright to contact other peolpe who have had kittens from them in the past - not sure if thats a done thing or not? but something I would ask and follow up.
Also if there is a "bengal club" is there a register they can register with does that make sense to see if they are "known" so to speak.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #6

I'd want to know if the parents are FIV / FeLV tested.

Don't know if they would be FIP tested or PKD?

There may be other health tests which they should have too, but I'm not sure.... Fran, any other blood tests or other health screening you know of?

I'd definatley want to know they were clear of FIV / FeLV though.

Catsey Veteran

07-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Fran, any other blood tests or other health screening you know of?

I'd definatley want to know they were clear of FIV / FeLV though.
I don't know if there are any specific tests for Bengals?? With Siamese the parents are usually just FIV/FeLV tested

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I don't know if there are any specific tests for Bengals?? With Siamese the parents are usually just FIV/FeLV tested
Usually so it's worth asking then?

Catsey Veteran

07-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Usually so it's worth asking then?
It's definitely worth asking Kazz and also enquiring if there are any specific tests that Bengals should have done

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
08-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #10

I would think they'd be delighted to hear that their kitten will be an indoor cat. You could write down what you have thought of to keep his indoor life as exciting as possible. Toys, good view from a window, treat-balls (or whatever you have available), that sort of thing.
She may also ask how long you will leave the kitten on his own and ask if you will sign a paper that you will get in touch with her first if you need to rehome him. Really responsible breeders will want to make sure he stays in a good home. You may be asked the same thing about guaranteeing you'll have him neutered as well.

Rover's breeder didn't ask me much, just observed how I behaved with the cats of the household and the litter I was there to see. I guess that is a good way to tell if people are cat-lovers, if they have cat-sense and if they can handle both the kitten and the cat he will become.