Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #11

Re: Breeding ques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
Just one more question, am I right when I say that white is a dominant colour for cats, compared to black?
I am not sure tbh. I find cat colour genetics very confusing. Someone like Kay would be better to advise re colours. I do know black is a dominant colour and blue (grey) is the recessive of black. But I do find it very difficult to get my head around

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #12

Re: Breeding ques

cats ovulate after mating takes place, the mating process indicates to the female cat to ovulate & then she releases eggs. (which is why they are such good reproducers)

But with dogs the bitch will ovulate - ie release eggs, then she will be mated.

When I was doing some reproduction training in artificial insemination (dogs) with Gary England recently, we got chatting about other species & I asked him if it would be possible to AI a cat (just out of interest) & he said in theory you could & people have tried, but it's very difficult & it's not just the presence of semen that induces the ovulation, it's the behaviour & the mating process too, so weather she's ovulate from being inseminated would be questionable......
He went on to make a very good point, that it would be extrememly difficult collecting a semen sample from a cat. (I hadn't thought of that)

Edit to add ~ I have no idea about colour genetics in cats. (I have enough trouble understanding it with the labs & they only come in 3 colours)