Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
31-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #1

how do ur cats get on with ur dogs?

for those of u who have both cats and dogs. how do they get on together?

i remember when i lived at home, we had scruffy our bichon frise and a moggy called max. they used to play fight all day, pinning each other down and biting each others ears really softly

my parents have 6 cats, all rescues. and now a rescue x breed dog. only one cat will interact with him and they will sit there pawing at each other. but thats the extent of it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: how do ur cats get on with ur dogs?

Cant speak for my newest 2, but when I brought Broxi home as a kitten, Tia my dog took to him straight away. They played great, no problems at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
31-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #3

ben is still a bit wary of the boys, reggie makes loads of fuss of him, but he has been known to wack ben on the nose, but thats normally after bens shoved a big wet nose up regs butt, so dont blame him there LOL. ron takes no notice of him at all.
so id say life heres pretty good between them, although when the cats are having a dust up ben will get involved big mistake some times LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
31-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #4

My dogs get on fine with the cats no play or interaction but there again the cats were almost 20 when Sal arrived as a pup however the dogs take no notice of Cleo the majority of the time their main interest in her being if she has eaten something nice they will move to accomodate her on the sofa. But they defend the garden and her against allcomers feline and canine.

Any dogs Ive had have always come into a house with cats in situ Oscar and Gypsy my previous Staff were the best of friends their main preoccupation I always thought was hunting "unsuspecting dogs and cats" Oscar brought them back to the garden where Gyp would be waiting.
Cleo has always considered the dogs to be a means to an end rather than friends, ie they give her lovely warmth in the winter and are convinent stepping stone to get onto sofa's etc as she can't jump these days a Stafford lying on the floor is just the right height to step onto.
But my two are far from keen on other cats, there again Oscar (my cat) was far from keen on other cats either. However my dogs have all been puppies when introduced to the cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
31-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #5

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #6

Who needs words, eh Dawn?

Wonderful photos of them together!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
31-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #7

See mine don't get on that well but Cleo is very set in her ways now and the dogs are rather exhuberant to say the least.

Mind you I think it would take more than 1 dog to take on those 5 Dawn look at the size of 'em.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
01-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #8

I think we've allways been pretty lucky in the sense ours have allways gotten on. I think 'fussing' can do a lot of damage..ours have allways been left to sort their own devices out, no cooing over them when they are getting to know each other. The two cats love the two dogs, Ralph is VERY protective of his mogs..his cat chasing days are long gone, but he can get a bit full on at times..more out of interest. But just now him and Bella were cuddled up together cause he was scared by the fireworks..
Florrie is very easy going and think would quite happily live with a Llama aslong as it let her share its food
Clementine thinks she is a dog, she and her bro's came to us when unwanted by the 'breeder' an ex family friend, at a young age. My old Russel bitch took to mother duties instantly..she and Clem were allways close, Clementine still doesn't act like a cat..still has a thing for fetching the post..well trying too!
I think it depends a lot on 'all parties'. We've allways had both dogs and cats so theres never been a point when a new puppy.kitten has been introduced and there hasn't been older animals there..so they've allways gotten used to them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
01-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #9

Talk about 'A picture paints a thousand words' Dawn

Tilly & Timmy get on great. As soon as Timmy shows up, Tilly's there following him everywhere. Moli will only just tolerate Tilly but Moli has never been in a household with dogs before. Timmy has lived with a Border Collie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

Mine do the same as Dawn's Jenny, but 've never managed a picture. I've got a great video but it's too big to put on the free sites

Dinah came into a house with 2 elderly lady cats and learnt instinctively that she was way beneath them in the pecking order . When I got the two boys, earlier this year, I kept them apart for a little while, until the kittens had become accustomed to the house. First introduction (with Dinah on lead) brought a degree of excitement from her and a degree of terror from them but it all setled within half an hour.
They are now great friends. The ginger is a tart like Wiggy and Moose (Dawn's boys), the grey is a feisty little b*gg*r, who beats Dinah up, chews her fetlocks, ears, cheeks etc.

It will be fun for you!