Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #1

Catteries

In a couple of weeks time,we'll be putting Cassie in a Cattery while we are away on holiday. She is a very timid cat and I feel happier knowing that she is somewhere safe and being looked after. If I left her home and got a neighbour to come in to feed her everyday, I would probably spend my holiday worrying about her safety.
We had a cat before who went missing for a couple of days, then managed to find his way home with a broken pelvis. Several people have said it is cruel to put them in a cattery, but knowing they are safe means more to me.
By the way, the Cattery we use is excellent, very clean and spacious and run by true cat lovers.

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #2

Re: Catteries

Hi Maggs

I know how you feel as I have a very timid cat too (Daisy) i once put her in a cattery and to be completely honest I really regreted it - Daisy came home and was obvisouly destressed by the whole experience.

I have a pet sitter now called Sue who is excellent and we use her if my neighbour is not available or my mum cant care for her.

There are lots of organisations that pet sit - they are fully insured and you get to meet them before you "sign up"! They also can collect post - open close curtains leave lights on - and the main advantage is that your cat is left in the suroundings it knows and loves.

Have you got no family or friends who you could ask? If not search the web for pet sitters in your area - it might be worth ringing to have a chat with somebody?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Abbi

Global Moderator

15-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #3

Hi Abbi
Fortunately Cassie has never seemed distressed when we've collected her from the Cattery. We've always been told she was fine .....there again, would they tell us otherwise?!! The only difference we have noticed is a slight loss in weight which, to be honest, she can afford to lose !
What a good idea getting a pet sitter - if I get any problems, I think that's worth considering.

Mags

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
15-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #4

I think for Cassie, a cattery is probably best - unless of course we look after her for you! lol - I'm sure Cheetah and Rocky won't pick on her Also I think it's the best option for Mags as I know how much you would worry (she's a lovely softy!) and I guess the thought that Cassie being 'restricted' would be comforting as you know she won't get into trouble (or there's less chance!).

Pet sitters are good too I used to know a couple who did it - but it's when they stayed at the persons house for the duration of the holiday - not sure if this is the same as the one's you are talking about Abbi? But personally I don't think I'd want strangers in the house whilst we are not there! (I bet you wouldn't too!). Also I thought people used pet sitters if they had lot's of pets? Also as far as I remb this couple used to get a few hundres quid per week! So it aint cheap

Catsey Junior

19-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #5

I'd have no problems with putting her in a cattery. The people who will be looking after her are experienced animal carers, if your cat is unhappy or unwell they will know and do their best to sort out any problems. I have worked in a boarding cattery and it is not unusual for a cat to drop a bit of weight, they usually sulk for a couple of days. I have also run my own pet sitting service, so I can give you a view from both sides. Some cats don't take well to strangers in their house, I have often looked after cats for a week and all I've seen of them is a tail disappearing through the cat flap!! Also, do your cats come in at night? If they do will they come when a stranger calls them? I know mine wouldn't.
I would always choose a good boarding cattery if going away for more than a week-end......Here speaks the voice of experience!!!

Global Moderator

19-04-2004, 09:33 PM   #6

Hi Jen
Thanks for the vote of confidence about catteries. We have used the same Cattery for Cassie and our previous cat for a number of years with no problems and I know the owners do try to spend a little time with the cats each day. They even 'brush' them using a pet mitt. I bet it was nice working in a Boarding Cattery, wasn't it?

Also, as you said, I don't think Cassie would respond to anyone else calling her in at night ....I think she would stay outside her cat flap all night shaking ...ahh!

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
20-04-2004, 02:07 AM   #7

there u go then Mags... Cattery it is!

Catsey Junior

20-04-2004, 09:56 AM   #8

It was great fun working in the cattery (also had kennels). There were some beautiful cats. There was a down side to it though, the pay was very poor and all those litter trays to clean!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
20-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen.s.f
..and all those litter trays to clean!!
It was bad enough when we had just Cheetah and her two babies! Don't envy you for doing that job Jen!