Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

Tips on letting Kitten Outside

My 5 month old kitten, who I have had since she was 10weeks old, has now had all her jabs , been spayed and microchipped and now I want to start letting her outside.

I did try a couple of weeks ago, she is a very bold kitten with no fear of anything. I waited for a nice sunny calm day and then opened the back door. She went straight out, no hesitation, then heard a bird on my guttering by the roof and started to scale the brick wall to get to the bird .
I just managed to grab her and get her down, she struggled and ran down the back garden and started to scale the fence into next doors garden, they have 2 dogs that don't like cats. I again managed to grab her and again she got away from me ran back up the garden, jumped the side gate and ran down the front garden and started to follow a dog being walked down the road.
With the help of the dog owner and someone else I managed to get hold of her and bring her clawing and biting at me back into the house.

I didn't let her out anymore my nerves were in tatters. Then the weather go bad so I havn't been able to try again even though she desperately wants to get out.
Sunday the weather is looking calm and dry so would be a good day for her to venture out.
Should I just bite the bullet and open the door and pray she comes back?. I can't chase round after her all the time making sure she doesn't get into trouble.
Have you any tips to help it go more smoothly and stop me from having a nervous breakdown over it all I really don't want to be calling the firebrigade out everyday to get my naughty cat off the roof and i have been noticing thats where the birds sit.
Also she seems so interested in getting out exploring she doesn't seem to be taking in which way she is going to find her way home again.
I have honestly never owned such a bold brazen kitten before so any tips to keep her safe would be appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Re: Tips on letting Kitten Outside

You could try going out with her on a harness and lead ..... but I think you will have to acclimatise her to the harness first and then the lead indoors. Take it slowly. At least if and when the weather improves and you decide to let her out, you can walk around with her until you are sure that she knows her garden and gets her bearings. I would always let your kitty out first just before a meal, so she is hungry and wants to come home again for food.

Big decision and scary. Do let us know how you get on. What's your kitten's name and you know we'd love to see a photo!!! (big hint).

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #3

Hello and thank you. Somehow I cannot see Lyla tolerating a harness. She hates the feeling of restriction and reacts quite violently. She is a bit of a wild child at times.

Here are a few pics of her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #4

To be perfectly honest she is far too young to be going outside on her own. At five months she has no sense as you discovered. Its just not worth the risk of losing her. Wait until she is at least 7/8 months when she is a bit more mature & settled
She is a beautiful kitten

Another option is a cat run where she can be outside in a controlled environment & be safe

Thirdly you can cat proof your garden so she is confined to your garden but again still get outside
http://www.woodycoon.com/Woodycoon/C...of_Garden.html

Fourthly you can keep as a housecat. So long as she has plenty of toys & a cat tree. & interaction with her owners, she will be perfectly fine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Given the weather at the moment I think a small kitten could get "confused" I would maybe hold off till you have better weather and you have more inclination and time to be outside so you are there for security and put things in the garden to keep her attention so she does not have to go too far. Make sure she is hungry too and try to get her used to coming for food when you tap a saucer or something.

Welcome back to catsey too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

What a wee poppet Lyla is! Good advice above. Let us know how you get on.