Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tom Cat
02-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Eye Contact

I think it is very interesting learning about humans communicating with cats through eye contact, I've learned that making eye contact and slowly closing your eyes and opening again really gets such a positive response from Archie(my kitten)! ... does anyone have any other tips or tricks? Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
03-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Re: Eye Contact

You're right Michaela, cats respond to our body language and those long eye blinks are what I call my cat kisses
but I don't think you can teach cats tricks like a dog, cat's are far too superior for that!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
03-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Well as humans and cats communicate very differently, I guess it's more of a journey with your cat, learning each other and creating a language between you.
Lots of stuff out on the internet, e.g. http://www.wikihow.com/Communicate-with-Your-Cat
Can guarantee your cat is watching and listening to you and learning your language even if it's not one your want them to learn! I make a low rumble in back of my throat when I want my cats to stay away from something like food etc. They know when I go to a certain drawer, treats are likely to come out of it :P
So ya it is also possible to teach cats "tricks" like dogs, though depends on the person and the animal as always.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Both of my 2 know when I open their cupboard they get treats. They sit and meow at it at times. Harris also gives you "kisses" (gentle headbutts) when you say the word kisses.

I definitely think they can be taught "tricks"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

I think there are different "translations" of the slowly closing eyelids - some take it as a sign of affection, others say it means non-aggression, which although not a million miles away, is not quite the same thing.

Cats do not like to be stared at ..... I understand that it is the height of ill-manners in cat language. If you try it, the cat will usually get up and walk away after a while. Interesting that link, Feliss, thanks for posting that.