Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby
25-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

How to stop dogs stealing cat milk/food??

new little rescued kitten has settled in really well. He is wonderfully playful and getting on great with the dogs. Our 10 month old border collie keeps bringing his tuggy and dropping in front of the tiny kitten waiting for him to play with him LOL
anyway...what I am currently wondering is for those that have dogs and cats...what set up do you have to enable you to leave food out for the cat without the dogs stealing it?!?
So far he is having set meal times, but I have wondered about leaving some dry down. Also I would really like to leave some kitten milk down for him to drink from throughout the day...but the norty dogs keep finding it first and scoffing it!
It is fine for his fixed meals as I put him in a seperate room, but where could I leave his milk so he has free access to it throughout the day??
DH is not keen on the idea of a stairgate...(but we have got 6 kids so feel like we basically had one up for ever until about 2 yrs ago so I can see his point!) any other ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Re: How to stop dogs stealing cat milk/food??

The only alternative I can think of is having a cat flap in an internal door, so that your kitten can get at food etc. in a room that is closed off to your dogs. I know from experience that dogs will scoff cat food at any opportunity and it doesn't do their tums much good either!

25-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

thanks angie.
Yes, I'm sure that all the kitten milk my dog is drinking is not doing his tummy any good at all LOL
It's ok when we are out as dogs and cat are kept separate...but when we are in and they both have free run of the house is tricky...
will ponder some more...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

My cats dishes are on the worktop in the utilityroom, dogs cannot reach...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
My cats dishes are on the worktop in the utilityroom, dogs cannot reach...
Same here our cats are fed off the floor

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Might not work if (like me) you have a Lurcher in the house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Might not work if (like me) you have a Lurcher in the house!
Never underestimate a Boxer

Cats owned: moggie
sean87 is Male
28-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #8

Have you tried training your dogs not to do this if you catch them in action?

Other advice includes squirting them with a water bottle if they're caught out but you might be better off trying the training first!

While the kitty is still small, you could try finding a big enough cardboard box and creating an opening that won't be big enough for the dog so that he can eat in there without the dogs being able to steal any food and this could work whether you're in the house or not. Not such a good idea if your dogs are the kind that would just destroy the box though!

Other than this, I agree with the advice to move your cat's feeding bowl out of reach of the dog. If you don't want to "fence" the cat off with a stair gate or similar, the suggestions to put it higher up are really good if the cat can get up there but the dog cannot.

02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

thanks for all the suggestions! I am working on training the dogs to leave it....but hey the 11 month old border collie is in full swing teenage dog mode at the moment and will try anything when my back is turned LOL
I haven't managed to find a suitable surface either....
but in the end I have had to put a baby gate on the bedroom door so I can leave him some milk out in there. seems to be working so far!