Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Need to know everything about cat care in a nut shell...please help LOL!

Hello all
We have just acquired a poor little 12 week old kitten that I found dirty and starving in a car park on Monday (see thread in introductions or pictures for more!)
Anyway..I must confess I have so far been more of a dog person (we have 2) so I am having to do a lot of learning fast!!

I have a few questions on various topics so thought I would put a general thread here!!

first off...litter trays! I am cluelss! I have bought a basic cheap one from Morrisons and a bag of own brand litter. He seems to know to use it and is doing great. BUT I dont understand anything about litter LOL Clumping/non-clumping/wood based... Does it matter which??? Also I think I have just figured out you dont need to change the whole lot every time he wees ...is that right... I have gone through a whole bag in 4 days doing this and only just realized I shouldnt be doing this LOL So when do I change it? Do I just remove solid waste then change less often???? Oh and liners or no liners??

Next food! Again I just bought a pack of Morrisons own brand kitten pouches on Monday. He is having about 1 1/2 of these a day and loves them, but I realise they are not great quality....having read up I think I will stick with wet but recommendations??? some seem to work out VV expensive (more than feeding my dogs and they are on good quality food) but I want something decent...wondered about Whiskers Simply range which don't look too bad ingredient wise....any other tips? Also I may mix a bit of dry and have ordered a small bag of meowing heads to try..

Then drink...he wont drink ANY water. Should I worry about this??? (again I'm used to the dogs lapping loads up in this weather) I have bought him some kitten milk which he likes and is drinking...Would a water fountain help?

Then playing...he has a lovely temperament and is V friendly and loves playing...BUT does like biting hands/arms in play at times and will sometimes chase you across the room and launch himself at your foot/ankle/leg and attach!! Now can I treat this like I would with a puppy by a firm "no" and stopping play or distracting with a toy... or do I need a different approach???
Also am considering buying one of those scratching post/climbing centre things...are they worth it?

Grooming...what needs doing. I did have to "bath" him in the sink when he came home and boy was that an experience.Even bathing my bath hating dog was nothing compared that! Please tell me I wont need to do that again in a hurry! Claws...anything need doing to them?

and finally sleeping...currently he is sleeping in an old fabric travel dog crate with blankets in. This is in our bedroom, where he is also fed and uses as his space away from the dogs. He seems quite happy in there but wondered about other options for cat beds...do they generally prefer the little enclosed type ones? any tips?

sorry for all the questions! I had done so much research before getting the dogs but this little chap arrived by surprise so to speak!!

all advice very gratefully received as I want to do my best by this lovely little chap!

02-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: Need to know everything about cat care in a nut shell...please help LOL!

oh...and litter trays...enclosed or open???
and what is catnip and what do I do with it LOL
I am indeed V clueless!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
02-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Hi, I will just let you know what I do and hopefully that will help . My cats get wet and dry food, when they are little they eat a surprising amount as they are growing, I feed hilife wet food and james wellbeloved dry. Claws- I have scratching posts upstairs and downstairs, this will save your furniture. I also just clip the end of their claws to keep them under control, not everyone does this. With lester he's had that done since he was little. I have covered litter trays, just less mess and I use the wood pellets, this def works out quite cheap as pets@home have offers on their own brand often. You won't always see a cat drink, and he will probably drink out of the dogs bowls . My two have various beds around the place and also sleep on my bed, but its definitely a good idea to have his own bed. This will make him more secure. Is he going to be a house cat?

03-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Thanks Paulinef that is helpful.
and yes that is another question about whether he will be an indoor cat or not. We live on a very quiet de sac with a slightly busier road not that far away... I think I personally would prefer him to be a house cat as I don't think I could take the worry of him being off on his own....but can he get enough exercise, simulation etc and be as happy as if he was allowed to go out and about?

Catsey Senior

03-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

As long as you are playing with him regularly then there won't be any issues with keeping him in, but I'd suggest some scratch posts asap. When you are playing with him, I'd suggest any of the wand toys so you are able to keep your hands out of the way. If he does play rough and try to bite and scratch then I'd just try doing what you say. Saying no and stopping play immediately should show him that's not acceptable very quickly. Are you going to get him micro chipped? Definitely worth it just incase he gets out the door, you can also neuter him at 5/6 months as you definitely don't want him spraying in your home. You've done a great thing, opening your home to a little stray needing a home. I hope you are enjoying him, cats are amazing little creatures. Any more questions ask away

03-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

thanks again Pauline! I think I am swaying more towards keeping him as an indoor cat. Im sure he'll get lots of playing from all the family. I@m going to get some wand toys and scratching posts for him.
We will be getting him neutered and micro chipped at about 5 months. We have purchased the kitten pack from the vets which includes the first 2 injections (he's had the first) and microchipping and a discount of neutering. The vets said they normally do the microchipping at the same time as neutering.
Spraying sounds bad!! will neutering prevent that? Luckily in a house with kids and 2 dogs we are not that house proud but would prefer him not to be spraying all over LOL!

Catsey Senior

03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

Yes you should avoid that with getting him done before he's reached sexual maturity. None of my cats have ever sprayed but I've had one come into the house, through the cat flap and spray, not pleasant. Lester's favourite toy is a shoe lace with a piece of paper tied onto the end . My cats are house cats but up until Tiger had a stroke he did have the use of a cat flap. Sounds like the wee puss will get plenty of exercise and stimulation with the dogs and kids

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

We have six cats - all housecats although we do have a cat run which is attached to the end of the kitchen so they come & go as they please thru a cat flap into the run. Neutering prevents spraying & microchip essential. When our kittens go in to be spayed/neutered they are microchipped at same time. I do wish more people would microchip cats. Too often i get people look amazed & say - " I didnt know you could microchip a cat"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

LP, you sound as if you have figured out everything for yourself and sound to be very sensitive to a cats needs. if you carry on doing what you are doing you wont go far wrong, what a lucky little cat .
Re claws, we have never needed to have our cats claws trimmed but an indoor cat will need something to scratch on.
catnip is great for cats although some dont react to it. You can buy the toys with it in or buy powdered stuff and just sprinkle it on the carpet, sometimes cats eat it too. I have a plant of it growing in the garden.
Cats don't drink as much water as dogs but you could water the milk down a bit to get him to take water. Never tried a fountain but i've heard cats like them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
23-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

Some cats like the fountains. Rover found the motor terrifying and refused to come near it. ^^ He would find a human to turn the water on for him when he was thirsty (there was always water out for him but he prefered running, non-motorised water).