Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
22-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Stray cat problem

Hi there.

I have a dilemma there's a large grey tabby tom cat wandering in our area, especially in our cul-de-sac, but not sure if he's lost or been abandoned. He's an intact tom, I know because he's sneaked in through the cat flap and sprayed in the house! I can't encourage him because my girls are very intimidated by him, although I have put dry food out for him well away from the house as I can't ignore his cries!

I would post a pic on my local Lost and Found site for animals but can't get close enough for a photo, I have described him to them and as yet no response.

I would like advice from you about caring for him but not encouraging him, also what if he's not a true stray but a lost pet, would I be hindering his return by feeding him? He's quite determined and a bit of a chancer, but shoots off before I make any contact.

I feel he's encroached on my own neutered girls' territory and he's spoiling their outdoor security. However I don't want to see him go hungry either.

Help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

Re: Stray cat problem

Oh PP! This is just the problem I had a few years ago ..... do you remember Harley? The only thing you can do is advertise ... try and post his details wherever possible and keep trying to get a photo. As you say, your own girls' security an happiness come first and I would lock your cat flap for the time being and do not offer him food (I know that's very hard). Probably getting him rescued by any cat charity is impossible with the amount of needy cats atm, and he is a very low priority.

I'd see if you get anywhere with finding out whether he is really a stray before going any further. His reaction - running away - makes me think it is likely he is a stray and has poor experience with people in the past.

Sorry, not a lot of help I know.

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

Thanks for that Angie. I remember Harley, the stray fella that you 'took on' what became of him?
I've ignored his crying this morning and he's slunk off somewhere, it's awful but my girls, especially Pearla and Pandora have acted really strange since he's been hanging around. Posh,not so much as she hardly ever goes outside, but Pearla and Pandy have become quite argumentative between themselves with lots of hissing and paw batting- very strange as they were always close. They still eat together but there's def more tension in the house.

I will ring the CP helpline tomorrow, I know they are inundated with cats but maybe they can trap him and scan for a chip. Will keep you up to date.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

This is what happened to Harley, PP - I still feel sad and guilty about it, but there really was no other option. My Kizzy and Pip had to come first, as do your girls.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ghlight=Harley

Re Pearla and Pandora, do you think they are bickering over a potential boyfriend???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

If he is still entire, it's unlikely that he'll be chipped I'd say. Think the local CP would be your best bet, even if they can trap and neuter him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

I think the disagreement that is brewing between your two is due to the stray.....his has or at least his presence has upset the balance.....I would not feed him but contact the CP see what happens but I think they will be inundated with kittens pregnant cats etc? But good chance they will trap neuter and return.
I would keep your cat flap locked.......your three are obviously no deterrent to this forlorn cat.
Contact CP.
Not feed him
Shoo him away and
Spray or whatever the cat calming stuff around.

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

Thanks girls, I knew I'd get good advice

I've stopped putting food out and ignored him. Kept the girls in as much as poss, it's been raining so no hardship and tomorrow I'll contact CP to see if they can trap him etc.

Cheers x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two rescues and one feral
18-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Thanks girls, I knew I'd get good advice

I've stopped putting food out and ignored him. Kept the girls in as much as poss, it's been raining so no hardship and tomorrow I'll contact CP to see if they can trap him etc.

Cheers x
had this too man times to count and usually I have continued to feed at a distance from the house.. Had to trap and relocate one in spring because of aggression and spaying the entire house. They are highly territorial. The new one is less hassle and is inside more now and doing well but also there is conflict between him and my two. Which I am trying to sort day by day by limiting his access. Need to get him fixed but cannot afford it yet
The trapping was easy as I borrowed a humane trap; only caught one of my two once!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
27-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

I am having this problem too a large black/white full tom cat turned up on my doorstep about a month ago I live in a rural area so assumed, as he wasn't neutered that he may have been a farm cat that had wandered off one of my neighbour,s has a little female cat (now spayed) and i think she may have come into season and that may have attracted him here anyway he seemed friendly but stayed put camped outside my patio doors I know i shouldn't have given him food but he looked so sad that i did obviously that was wrong as he is still here he is a sweet cat and friendly to me but he is so aggressive to my own cat's (I have 14 with Gomez who is missing) He has attacked several of them so i managed to catch him and had him castrated last week hoping it would calm him down but although he is better with my cat's he is still attacking them and now they won't go outside if he is there..not really sure what to do with him as i would like to home him but not if he keeps hurting my cat's