Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #21

Re: Smoking Ban

I am n unabashed unashamed smoker, and I believe the government, both here and in the UK and Ireland have gone too far. I believe it should be up to the owner of the establishment to decide his policy. If a sign is outside saying this is a smoking establishment, then people who dislike/are allergic to smoke can decide wether to go or not. That's currently the policy in Virginia. As I said earlier, I and my friends who are also smokers only patronize restaurants in Washington that have an outside dining area; in Winter, we go to Virginia. If I. as a smoker, am not welcome, then neither is my money or patronage. I realize this is a "hot button" issue, and would not criticize those of you with differing opinions. This is mine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
01-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #22

They could have worked this out where they had smoking and non smoking pubs/bars then everyone would have a "choice".
Since this ban has come in my mom has been getting complaints about the noise outside the pub because everyone even the non smokers are sitting out side.

And while all this is going on they are still smoking in the house of lords,house of commons and prisons!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
They could have worked this out where they had smoking and non smoking pubs/bars then everyone would have a "choice".
Since this ban has come in my mom has been getting complaints about the noise outside the pub because everyone even the non smokers are sitting out side.

And while all this is going on they are still smoking in the house of lords,house of commons and prisons!
Exactly Erin! Comes to something when prisoners have more choice than the ordinary law abiding pub-goer! Of course the reasoning behind that is the probable trouble the inmates would cause if they banned it in prisons. As for the House of Commons, oh the hypocrisy!

Don't get me wrong here, I do agree that non-smokers have had no choice in the past, and it is right that they should be able to go out to smoke free places, but shouldn't smokers have some choice too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
01-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #24

I am totally delighted that there is a ban. I am utterly utterly intolerant of smokers if they affect me and my quality of life. What they choose to do at home is up to them, but I am soooooooooo glad that, at last, the non-smokers will be protected from smoke in public places.

We all know the dangers of passive smoking, and I think it is wrong that I should come back smelling of others peoples cigarette smoke. I have noticed a definite increase in the amount of terminal cancer patients I visit suffering from lung cancer, not to mention other smoking related illnesses such as COPD.

I believe the government are 100% right in introducing this ban.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy
Exactly Erin! Comes to something when prisoners have more choice than the ordinary law abiding pub-goer! Of course the reasoning behind that is the probable trouble the inmates would cause if they banned it in prisons. As for the House of Commons, oh the hypocrisy!

Don't get me wrong here, I do agree that non-smokers have had no choice in the past, and it is right that they should be able to go out to smoke free places, but shouldn't smokers have some choice too?

Exactly! Let the free market dictate the choice: if the owner wants no smoking, fine; if he doesn't post a sign so people will know. If the current trend continues there will probably be only a few smoking restaurants/pubs available, but at least there will be a choice!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
01-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I totally disagree, why should smokers stop at home? Non smokers should stop at home if they don't like to be around cigarettes. It's absolutely bizarre how this country is going. I'm so glad I'm not one of the younger generation of today.
Smokers don't have to stop at home - they just can't inflict carcinogenic toxins on other people in confined spaces. They can still go out and have a good time and if they can't enjoy themselves for 3 or 4 hours without a cigarette then I think that is a little sad

The effects of passive smoking are something I feel strongly about as a relative who never smoked herself died as a result of lung cancer caused by passive smoking. It is a fact that one person's smoking habit puts other peoples health at risk.

I think the point about allowing drinking only pubs and working mens clubs to be able to choose whether or not to allow smoking is a pertinent one and perhaps something which should have been considered more closely when drafting the legislation. The very "culture" of working mens clubs is one where a high percentage of the clientele smoke heavily.

Whoever said barstaff could then choose to work in a non smoking or smoking workplace is seeing things too simplistically. Supply and demand would be such that there would be a higher number of applicants for the nonsmoking establishments and staff shortages in the smoking ones making it difficult for those who wish to work in a smoke free atmosphere to find employment. Some years back I worked for Chef and Brewer and we carried out a study into whether to ban smoking at the bar area and a very high percentage of bar staff stated they would prefer to work in an establishment where smoking was not allowed at the bar so at least they did not get smoke blown into their faces.

I cannot see the ban going any further than it does realistically - the effects of passive smoking are more of an issue in confined spaces where there is nowhere for the smoke to go - even ventilation does not completely disperse it.

I fully support the ban and I'm sure the smokers will probably jump on me for my opinions expressed above. The only aspect of the ban I feel is hazy is that the issue of smokers grouping on streets etc outside pubs has not been addressed.

I would point out that smokers standing outside on the pavement in front of a pub which does not have a licence covering drinking on the pavement are commiting an offence. Those pubs you see with tables and chairs on the pavement rather than in a beer garden to the front need a licence for those tables and for their customers to stand outside and drink.

So if you know anyone affected by this issue it may be worht their while checking with the Local Authority the extent of that pub's licence and reporting them if customers are standing outside drinking so they can smoke. If people cannot drink there while they smoke, they are less likely to stand outside and make a racket; and more likely to pop out for a sneaky puff and nip back in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
02-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #27

Well, I'm a great fence-sitter on this. I haven't smoked since Christmas last year, not that I smoked much, only about 3 or 4 a day. The thing is I always absolutely hated the smell of cigarettes in the house, the way it gets into cutains, carpets etc., so I always smoked out in the garden. Eventually I decided that I was smoking more out of habit than addiction, it was also bl***y freezing in the garden! so I stopped...just like that...no patches, no cravings, no regrets.

I don't object in the slightest to being in the company of smokers and I think it's a shame that the ban has been so complete, I would far rather have had smoking and non-smoking sections in the pub. However I am glad to be able to taste my food when we eat out rather than someone's cigarette smoke!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #28

Ooops
Did I start this? Only mentioned how busy the local was, etc.
Catsey doesn't normally get into this sort of debate but it seems we've managed to keep our claws sheathed.
Seems to me that smokers like smoking, non-smokers generally hate the smoke and never the twain shall meet.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #29

I used to be a smoker 4 years ago, and gave up for health reasons i think its unfair that smokers are being forced to either pack up or stay at home, if i still smoked i would have been annoyed about the ban! It should be up to the owners whether they have a smoking or non smoking pub or not! next they will say you cant smoke in your own home!! its crazy!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucySiamese
i think its unfair that smokers are being forced to either pack up or stay at home, if i still smoked i would have been annoyed about the ban! It should be up to the owners whether they have a smoking or non smoking pub or not! next they will say you cant smoke in your own home!! its crazy!

Now lets not go overboard here - smokers are not being forced to give up or stay at home - no one has said if you smoke you cannot go out of the house, just that you cannot smoke while you are in this place. They are being prevented from smoking in confined places where their habit affects people who don't smoke. Smoking is a health risk and the ban prevents those who don't mind risking their health from risking the health of those who don't indulge.

Smokers have not lost the choice to smoke at all and I find it rather irritating that those who oppose the ban use this as an argument when it is not correct. Smokers can still smoke - just not in certain areas where other people have to put up with it.

The government are hardly likely to stop people smoking in their own homes - that's a bit of a daft thing to say. If the government wanted to do that they would ban smoking altogether which they won't do as they get revenue from the tax paid on ciggies and the tobacco companies and people who smoke would be up in arms.

I find it a relief (as do many other nonsmokers I am sure) to go out for a meal or a drink and to be able to come home without a sore hoarse throat from the thick fog of smoke and with my clothes smelling like clothes rather than cigarettes. I have absolutely no objection to people smoking in their own homes and gardens and in the open air as it doesn't affect me but why should I have to have my health put at risk by someone elses choice which is what was happening where smoking was allowed in the places it is now banned.

Soupie prepares to get flamed