Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

Cats with blue eyes

This may just show my ignorance, but do all cats with blue eyes have a common ancestry? I am thinking of beautiful Fluffy and Posh of course. Are there others on the Forum with blue eyes?

Reason I ask is that Oz's mummy has blue eyes so I am told.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #2

Re: Cats with blue eyes

Pedigree Siamese 'point' cats all have blue eyes as a breed standard, also Birman and some others. Ususual in moggies though.... But does happen, as you have highlighted. The blue eye gene is recessive and not dominant, so is all to easily breeded out(diluted) in moggies, but preserved in pure breeds.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #3

Most blue eyed cats (Himalayan, Orientals) have Siamese in their background; am not sure about Ragdolls. It's very rare, but can occur in moggies, although the blue eyed gene is recessive. There was a stunning coal black cat in the neighborhood where I used to live with very blue eyes. I would have catnapped him if I could have, but he was standoffish with strangers!

Banned

07-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Most blue eyed cats (Himalayan, Orientals) have Siamese in their background; am not sure about Ragdolls. It's very rare, but can occur in moggies, although the blue eyed gene is recessive. There was a stunning coal black cat in the neighborhood where I used to live with very blue eyes. I would have catnapped him if I could have, but he was standoffish with strangers!
I am sure thats what I just said earlier lol!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
07-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #5

My 2 moggies who are brother and sister both have blue eyes (sorry no photos as I'm rubbish at taking and posting them!) Their mother was a tortie but goodness knows what type of cat their father was!

Catsey Veteran

07-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #6

Oh MrsH! I'd really love to see photos of your 2 - could you get someone else to take some photos for you?

Kittens always have blue eyes, don't they? Can anyone tell me at what age their eye colour changes if it's going to?

Banned

07-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Oh MrsH! I'd really love to see photos of your 2 - could you get someone else to take some photos for you?

Kittens always have blue eyes, don't they? Can anyone tell me at what age their eye colour changes if it's going to?
Yes most have grey/blue eyes to begin with, this usually changes within 4 weeks, but can differ from kitten to kitten. Anyone with a moggie with blue eyes should check their cat is not deaf... As a percentage of them will be deaf, especially white moggies with blue eyes!
Not wanting to scare anyone though....

Catsey Veteran

08-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #8

Thanks catwoman999.

I think I knew that in moggies, the blue eye gene could be linked to deafness, esp in white cats. Presumably this isn't the case in cats of Siamese/oriental genetics? Just intrigued by this question - my knowledge of genetics is very basic!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #9

Deafness is linked to the white gene, it's the same in dogs, a lot of the predominantly white breeds have issues with deafness, dalmatians, bull terriers, white boxers e.t.c.

My Kiara has blue eyes of course.

Eileen the most amazing cat I have ever seen has to be a black cat with blue eyes, just so very beautiful.

I believe some Bengals have blue eyes too.

Banned

08-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks catwoman999.

I think I knew that in moggies, the blue eye gene could be linked to deafness, esp in white cats. Presumably this isn't the case in cats of Siamese/oriental genetics? Just intrigued by this question - my knowledge of genetics is very basic!!!
Hi Angieh,

Yes, you are quite correct, this isn't the case with the siamese/oriental breeds.....