Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: short hair b/W european
20-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Hello there! I'm new here and I have a cat problem.

I know this is the introductions Section... but I dont know where to post. Ok. My name is Gabriella. I live in France and I brought my cat from Mexico. She's my family and she used to be my mom's cat. I recently went away for training and before leaving I put a flea collar on Nina as she had many fleas. I also bought a spray (insecticide) and sprayed the floors on the flat, her bedding, my bedding etc.
I came back 2 weeks later and she no longer wants to come inside. At first I thought it was because it was the summer and it was hot, but she just doesn't want to walk inside the flat.
I finally understood that had to do with the previous spraying... I have cleaned, washed the bedding and left every single window open... but she seems afraid to walk inside.
If I carry her on my arms, she will come in. She sleeps in my bed at night, but once morning comes she runs to the door... And she effusively licks her paws and tail.
What can I do to bring things back to normal? I don't want her to be poisoned, but the summer is about to end and it's starting to get colder in the evenings... She maws at the door on the outside, but she wont come in on her own.
What have I done wrong?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Re: Hello there! I'm new here and I have a cat problem.

Hello Gabriella. I'm so sorry to hear how worried you are about your cat's reaction. Can you say what the insecticide was that you used? Have you searched online to see whether there are any problems with indoor use of the chemical? Was it the sort of indoor flea spray that is generally recommended by vets? (I'm not sure what is used in France.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Hi Gabriella welcome.
Where did Nina stay whilst you were away ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Hi Gabriella welcome.
Where did Nina stay whilst you were away ?
That's what I was going to ask. Did she stay home with a pet sitter or anything? If so maybe they could shed a little more light on it. These things usually happen because the cat has had some traumatic experience or a huge fright.

Have you thoroughly checked her paws and tail for any evidence of inflamation or redness?
What did you wash the floor with? Many household cleaners can irritate their skin.

If all is ok healthwise, I'd concentrate on making the flat more welcoming and inviting to her. If she is playful, encourage her with some fun play time. If she loves food then use food treats, hide some so she has to hunt them out.

Cats owned: 2 cats - one torti-tabby, one black
acatcalleddog is Male
15-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #5

Hi there,

First, never ever use a flea collar - these cat poison cats making them breathe poison.

Just go to the vets and get a flea treatment (it is specific to each cat by weight to never buy off the shelf flea treatments from supermarkets) - then apply that every month.

It's hard to tell what the issue is here without knowing what you sprayed in your house. Of course, cats know when things may harm them, and I think your cat is smelling a harmful chemical. I'd suggest washing - with water and soap and antiseptic. Then she may well come in.

Perhaps you can keep the cat in the part of the house she likes and the one you treated least until the chemical smell starts to leave the main rooms?