Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #1

Slugs & Snails

Where we live we have got a multitude of slugs this year, snails too but the slugs are enmass, even getting into the conservatory . Anyone any ideas - nothing toxic as we have several stray cats that come around.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
10-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Re: Slugs & Snails

There is a powder you can use from a company called 'Growing Success' which dries them out rather than poisoning them. It claims to be safe for use around birds and animals. You create barriers with it that they can't cross. Copper around pots works too but can be pricey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

I've had to use Nemaslug this year but I only used it once and for complete protection I think you have to apply every 6 weeks. It introduces a parasite to the slug, rather horrid I think.

What about some strategically placed slug pubs?

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #4

I used salt last night & tonite, not nicest way to do it but was getting desperate!

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I've had to use Nemaslug this year but I only used it once and for complete protection I think you have to apply every 6 weeks. It introduces a parasite to the slug, rather horrid I think.

What about some strategically placed slug pubs?
Nicer way to kill them off than salt, had thought of it but have salt in the house

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats' staff
There is a powder you can use from a company called 'Growing Success' which dries them out rather than poisoning them. It claims to be safe for use around birds and animals. You create barriers with it that they can't cross. Copper around pots works too but can be pricey.
Will look into that too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Not sure about chemicals of ay sort myself as hedgehogs eat slugs. I use either salt - immediate end, beer dishes, and I also did once years ago when I lived in an old ground floor flat and found a slug in the kitchen I did put rock salt mixed with sharp sand around the outside like a slug moat it worked just sprinkled it about a foot out down to the house. But remember they can climb walls/fences too.
I use copper tape around my plant pots (hostas) and have had no promblem not sure if you could try that round the edge of the conservatory.

I have noticed an increase in slugs myself this year in fact one path round by the canal I walk with Sal you literaly have to hop skip and jump down to avoid them early in the morning. Oh yes and they seem to be massive too - uuuk

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Not sure about chemicals of ay sort myself as hedgehogs eat slugs. I use either salt - immediate end, beer dishes, and I also did once years ago when I lived in an old ground floor flat and found a slug in the kitchen I did put rock salt mixed with sharp sand around the outside like a slug moat it worked just sprinkled it about a foot out down to the house. But remember they can climb walls/fences too.
I use copper tape around my plant pots (hostas) and have had no promblem not sure if you could try that round the edge of the conservatory.

I have noticed an increase in slugs myself this year in fact one path round by the canal I walk with Sal you literaly have to hop skip and jump down to avoid them early in the morning. Oh yes and they seem to be massive too - uuuk
Yes they are massively big this year and its so slimey and slippery where they have been. As bad as walking on ice!

I hadn't heard of copper tape before so nipped across to eBay and ordered some. It will be ideal to put round the plant pots in the conservatory as several times recently I have found a slug in a plant pot. I can also lay out a patch for putting the stray cats feeding dishes down. Its so hard to clean dishes after the slimey pests have left their slime all over them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
12-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #9

yukk slugs!! i think i win tho, i once found one in my washing machine!! after id washed my clothes!! yuko! my clothes were all slimy i had to add vanish powder to get rid! i've also found one on my kitchen worktop eating a grain of rice!! they mostly come in my kitchen in between my washing machine so im afraid i also resulted in putting salt on the outside wall!

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #10

When its dry (very wet today) I'm going to put salt along the outside of the back (conservsatory) door to stop the wee pests getting in, leastways think that is where they are coming in :/