Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Cheap Ski Wear

My son is going skiing with the school in February - he has never been before.. and has never done anything with the school... but since going into sixth form he wants to do EVERYTHING!!

He has a trip to Belgium with the school in November costing £200 and then I have to find another £750 for the ski trip plus clothing and spending money etc!!!

To say I am worried about all this cost is an understatement and wondered if anyone on here knows of a good website for cheap ski clothing for a small 16 year old (clothing size 14-15 I guess).

As I have no idea about anything to do with skiing I dont even know what he needs to take!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #2

Re: Cheap Ski Wear

Donna, if it's just a one-off why don't you post on Freecycle and see if someone has unwanted gear they can let you have?

I've only being skiing on a couple of occasions, but all he'll need is an anorak-type jacket; warm and waterproof and salopets (warm, waterproof trousers). However ordinary waterproof trousers over jeans would work as well. Worth investing in some long johns and vests; terribly unfashionable but will be much appreciated after a day out in minus 20C. Waterproof gloves + some waterproof boots such as Timberlands would also be a good idea. However, these he could obviously re-use in the UK. If he'll stand it I'd also suggest a hat!

He'll be able to hire ski boots, skis and all the other, heavyweight stuff in the resort.

Oh, and don't forget to ask him to bend his old man's ear for some/all of the above . . .

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Donna, if it's just a one-off why don't you post on Freecycle and see if someone has unwanted gear they can let you have?

I've only being skiing on a couple of occasions, but all he'll need is an anorak-type jacket; warm and waterproof and salopets (warm, waterproof trousers). However ordinary waterproof trousers over jeans would work as well. Worth investing in some long johns and vests; terribly unfashionable but will be much appreciated after a day out in minus 20C. Waterproof gloves + some waterproof boots such as Timberlands would also be a good idea. However, these he could obviously re-use in the UK. If he'll stand it I'd also suggest a hat!

He'll be able to hire ski boots, skis and all the other, heavyweight stuff in the resort.

Oh, and don't forget to ask him to bend his old man's ear for some/all of the above . . .
Thanks Yola ... I have seen some online shops that do a package of jacket/trouser/hat/gloves for about £70 for his size.... I dont think that is unreasonable for what he gets... its just so alien to me to know what he will need!!

And as to his father chipping in? Well we wont go there!

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #4

£70.00 is a good price. I didn't like skiing and found the whole hanging around in bars a bit boring TBH. But I certainly think it's an experience that everyone should have, my parents couldn't afford the school trips either so I never went until about 3 years ago.

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #5

I think Sean has visions of jumping of mountainsides and doing slaloms and being great at it all... but I am sure being there with mates will make it a fun experience!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #6

Sean will need sunglasses or similar to protect his eyes from the glare of the snow.

I went skiing with my school years ago and I remember we all thought it strange that we were asked to take sunglasses but we were glad we did as the white glare from the snow is really strong...

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Sean will need sunglasses or similar to protect his eyes from the glare of the snow.

I went skiing with my school years ago and I remember we all thought it strange that we were asked to take sunglasses but we were glad we did as the white glare from the snow is really strong...
Good tip!! And suncream and lip salve I should imagine!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #8

There are some reasonable Ski packages here Donna.........

http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk//blue...oducts_id=6323

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #9

Cool, that was the package I saw this morning that I mentioned earlier in the thread! Thanks Mags!

I think this year's Xmas pressies for Sean will be ski stuff cos I cant afford all this and then more pressies on top!! I am sure he wont mind!

He is even telling me he is going to use his EMA money to pay as much of this trip as he can (if the EMA people ever sort it out so he actually get it).

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #10

That's such a nice gesture from Sean! It sounds like your troubled little boy is finally finding his feet and his confidence!