Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #1

Daily Thread/Thursday

Morning all,
Cold and foggy here this morning, am off work sick today so not much planned.
I am going to see how I feel later,if I feel well enough after filling myself with antibiotics I may pop round to Sarah84's to see her new baby.
Milo is off out in the garden and decided that that is where he is staying all day he hasnt even come in for breakfast
Hope everyone has a good day,and all the poorly people are feeling better.

Yola hope the antibiotics have kicked in by now

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #2

Re: Daily Thread/Thursday

Morning Erin! Sorry to hear you're still off sick, although sometimes a sick day with rest is much needed and enjoyed! Hope you do feel better soon

Cold and crisp here this morning, a regular Thursday. I felt about 5% more awake this morning than usual, which although minimal, cheered me up a lot to think that the caffiene withdrawl symptoms (killer headache) and lack of chocolate may actually be having a positive effect after all!Lets hope it's 10% tomorrow!

Normal day at work here, a lot on so best get back to it!

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #3

Your doing so well with this detox Meep,I couldnt do it,I have a intolerance to eggs (other things to im sure going by the way my stomach bloats after eating certain foods) but I couldnt be without my bacon and egg sanwhich after a night out on the town, it always seems like such a good idea at the time, i soon regrett it about 15 mins later when Im feeling naff Ill never learn though Its great that you are starting to feel the positive effects so quickly,maybe I really should give it a try......nah!!!
Im feeling a bit better today actually,I still cant talk properly but mythroat isnt half as sore,i just really sick from the antibiotics,oh well only 13 days left of them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Feeling much less achey today but still very tired. I had frantically started cleaning the house because I received an email yesterday from the little cleaning company that I use saying the the economic climate has put them out of business (the lost 5 clients in an hour when Lehman's went down+ a steady ongoing loss since). So I'd resigned myself to having to clean the whole darned house myself each week

Who should phone just now but the lovely Polish girl who was the primary cleaner and did both house and office. She's setting up on her own!!!! Whoooo hooo!! So of course I said, yes of course you can carry on cleaning . . . she's brilliant (and probably cheaper seeing as she'll be freelancing)!

That is such a load of my mind as I couldn't envisage how I would manage this with the kids, the business and everything else!

I have a list of bits and peices to get through today so will slowly plod round and get things ticked off

Almost a Veteran Member

09-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Thanks Erin! It is encouraging to have comments like that To be honest, it's only been two days so the real chocolate cravings haven't kicked in yet. I mean, most normal people probably go a wee while between chocolate bars. But as I've said, my normal intake before this detox was at least one a day, alongside another sweet treat like a cake

I was thinking last night that life is too short to not enjoy the things you like. But I got into bad habits with chocolate and tea; relying too heavily on tea to wake me up in the morning, and indulging far, far too much in chocolate so it was no longer a treat but a day-to-day necessity. So I'm doing a one month detox, and then I'll slowly reintroduce chocolate and will only drink decaf tea and coffee. And if I exert enough control I can then make it habit to only have chocolate maybe once a week or so, rather than twice a day!

Also, wheat is a seperate issue. I've not missed it that much, and I was, still am, a bread fiend! I love crusty bread, garlic bread, and bacon sandwiches!! But I can still have the bacon and eggs, just not with bread. You've got to see the upside I already feel loads better from two days off wheat. I've yet to have an energy crash after eating, haven't bloated badly at all, and like I said, waking up was a bit easier this morning!

You have to think along the lines that you're not denying yourself, but helping your body and actually making yourself happier through the way you feel, not the foods you eat. And surprisingly there is a lot I can still eat! I thought I'd have to change my entire diet but dinners so far havent had to change at all, apart from subsituting wheat pasta with corn (which is fine!) Tonight it's chicken curry. Checked the curry sauce, which is fine, and chicken and rice are in I would say there's no harm in trying, and also, after the one month detox I can still occasionaly indulge in wheat (say at a birthday or chirstmas occassion) with bread or cake! I'll probably just realise a lot more after being off it how much it was affecting me before! So I'd say give it a try, all that happens is you go off it for a week or a month, and if you realise you prefer eating bread to not being a little bloated, you can go back if you like

Sorry to hijack the thread! I'll keep quiet about it now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #6

Meep, sorry to put a spanner in the works re the wheat, but the more you keep off it the more sensitive you become to it when you have some. It's not just OH, but others too have said that eating a slice of cake once a month gave them a bellyache they they would previously only have had after weeks of eating wheat products.

But you really, really don't miss them and it become no big deal at all. Even Costa now do a gluten-free range of biscuits

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #7

Think Ill look into it then,but like you I love bread!!! I have akready switched to that soya milk and soya spread ( a while back after my sigmoidoscopy), it took me a while but Im there now, I cant have it in cereal yet but I dont eat much cereal so that doesnt bother me, I do find though when Im out and have drinks with normal milk, I could quite easily switch back to it

Almost a Veteran Member

09-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Meep, sorry to put a spanner in the works re the wheat, but the more you keep off it the more sensitive you become to it when you have some. It's not just OH, but others too have said that eating a slice of cake once a month gave them a bellyache they they would previously only have had after weeks of eating wheat products.

But you really, really don't miss them and it become no big deal at all. Even Costa now do a gluten-free range of biscuits

I had thought about that Yola, and started to freak out a little bit last night. Thinking "oh no, I can never have a Marks and Spencers Victoria Sponge again! (my birthday cake of choice ) " as I knew that the less I ate it, the more intolerant I'd become. And I admit right now that I do wish I could eat cake and bread, but I'm hoping as the wheat leaves my system, the craving will too. Plus, I've tried Mrs. Crimbles cakes (turns out a health food shop nearby does them) and they are delicious! It was the jam-filled macaroons, mmmm mm!

Also, if I bring back chocolate a little bit that will tide me over fine without cake or bread I'm sure

But thanks for raising that issue; it is a good point to make, and something I have been aware of in making the decision to eliminate wheat.

ETA: I've realised that what I've said just now contraicts my earlier post of "you can still have something with wheat as a treat!" Whilst I do agree that eliminating wheat will raise the intolerance and make it worse to then have wheat again, I'm just repeating what my Food Intolerance Test practioner said to me. On the day of my test she told me she'd been to a party the night before and had sausage rolls, and felt really bloated on Sunday but she knew she would! And that it isn't a case of never eat wheat again, but you do need to know the consequences (much the same as having a lot to drink and knowing how awful the hangover will be!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #9

Morning Ladies, just back from the Airport run, its beautiful here today, although cold.....Got a few household things to do, then taking the dogs up the forest....
Have a good day everyone...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #10

Morning everyone

Lovely day here, bright but cold, decided to put some washing out; I love the smell when it's been on the line! (how sad am I? ) My day off today, so tidied the house and will go shopping later. Have foster lad's Annual review at school soon. Best news is that my daughter, Rachel is coming home today until Saturday!!!! She has only been at uni for nearly 3 weeks but I miss her soooo much!

Hope everyone has a good day and that Erin and Yola are feeling better soon. x