Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
30-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Foggy Thursday...

Well, it is here at any rate!

Hope everyone had a good rest of Weds, and that the quiz was enjoyable for all who were able to attend.

All goes well here - have a rough plan of when am being taken home, and what the run of events is after that (Dad going to make sure my car is running, and once little one fully settled at home we going to pick up some groceries).

Speaking of little one - she can now jump straight onto the kitchen work surfaces... At home she was getting up only by way of climbing up the airer...

Otherwise a quiet day planned.

Have a good day all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
30-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

Re: Foggy Thursday...

Afternoon Squirrel - afternoon everybody else.

Nothing planned for today, tidied up a bit and popped the hoover over so it looks a bit more presentable.

Making a chicken casserole from some homemade chicken soup and some chicken pieces, it is in the slow cooker now and should be quite nice. The beef goulash was quite enjoyable yesterday but ideally the beef needed to be cooked for longer as it was just on the verge of going soft.

Might relax later and read my book,

Have a good day everybody

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
30-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

Hi squirrel, just been to Tesco and got the NY Day dinner stuff. Was amazed how quiet it was. Now having a quick catch up before washing the kitchen floor which looks like it hasn't been done for months!!

Not much else to report on. Hope you get little Cloud settled and that the grocery shop is quiet!

Enjoy the day peeps

Hi Emma - you popped up before I had posted - hope the chicken is good tonight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

Hi Kate, Emma, CM and anyone else along later.
Bit of a night last night as my youngest son wasn't well, because he is lucky enough to be very healthy he panics a bit when he doesn't feel well. He says he feels better today but i'm not convinced. He is having friends round for a buffet later so fingers crossed.
Been to the library and only managed to find two books, then a quick shop for the buffet and new years day. Got myself a vegi haggis and some sage and onion flavoured yorkshires, the carnivores are having chicken,lol.
Malaika is one tomorrow, how time flys.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Afternoon all! Been out with OH - seems like ages ago we were out for a walk, we were both getting a bit stir-crazy. We walked along the foreshore at Itchenor with the view of getting to East Head. Reckon we got about half way before time ran out! We could see our goal but knew it was much further than it looked. Saw loads of Brent Geese, Curlew, Shellduck and Redshank and loads of those very small waders in little flocks, think they were Dunlin. Back home now and just finished a nice mug of tea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Hi, all, and those to follow. Slight thaw continues: 4 C (39 F) and a bit of sunshine too. Another lie-in day, just pottering (should be hoovering, etc! ) Leia enjoyed being out on the porch yesterday when it made it up to 8 C!

Have a good grocery run, Squirrel; missed you at the quiz which was great. Emma, the casserole sounds very tasty; I'm having crab remoulade salad tonight. CM, what's for the New Year meal? I'm fixing Hoppin' John, a traditional Southern dish with black eyed peas for luck. Shelley, can't believe that girl will be one! Hope your son is feeling better by now. Haggis??? Angie, glad you had a good walk with interesting birds.

Let's hope for better weather in the New Year! Have a good day, people.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
30-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #7

Hey all - good to see you! I'm now safely back home, and shopping all done. Now it time for a break! Lots to do round here of course, but I think most of it can wait until tomorrow - can just get settled back in today! Little one is sleeping on my bed I think - a habit she developed while at parents house. She also became extra cuddly - was happy to stay with me practically any time I picked her up, but would not sit on me!!! Am wondering how much that will change now we're back home again!

Hope your days continue to go well. Glad to hear that the quiz was good - will hope to get to the next one... Will be back at work again by then!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Glad you have arrived home safely, Kate and got your shop done.
Eileen Hoppin John sounds intriguing.
Angie glad you had a nice walk.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #9

Yes, what is Hoppin John Eileen???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

There are as many variations of Hoppin' John as cooks, I think! I'll see if I can find a recipe similar to what I make ... been doing it for so many years just measure by eye.
Here's a bit of info:

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia).
Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.
Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name: