Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #1

Think Im depressed....

Earlier this evening went armed with shovel out into the paved area at the back of tbe house. Had noticed the dogs slipping & sliding.

Top layer revealed layer of crispy ice, underneath this was deep layer of soft fluffy snow, about 7" of it, maybe deeper. At the bottom is a deep - about two inches thick solid ice. Tbat didnt deter me. Cleared path to steps for the doglets - much to their amusement!! Cleared most of the steps.

Im just back in having had the dogs out for their toilet & was absolutely horrified to see a thick blanket of fresh snow falling

Ive got nothing done, no presents bought, no extra food in and Im having folk for Christmas lunch!!! at this rate it will be beans on a plate - running out of bread too . Had planned to do all this coming week as per usual.

Is anyone getting post through? We have not had post for days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
20-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #2

Re: Think Im depressed....

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you apart from we have only had a few inches of snow!! i only have a few presents in, lots more to go! we decided as were rather skint this year just to get for the kids, but theres 7 on my side, 3 on oh's! and i wanted to get my mum and grandparents something wee as they have been really good to me this year. so i got paid on friday, it will be gone shortly!! just spent £80 ordering online at tescos, so at least i dont have to face the food shopping madness!! i did get post on friday, but it was something i'd ordered two and a half weeks ago! il need to get my remaining presents tomorrow as im working all week! aargh nightmare!

oh! just remembered i still need to get kitty and ratty presents too!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #3

The weather is making it a nightmare for many, I do sympathise. Velvet, couldn't you ask the people who are coming to you for dinner to help, maybe bring the dessert or something?

I am too organised for my own good, but only because I panic if I'm not. I bught and wrapped all presents ages ago. I save for vouchers all year through Park Christmas Savings, I find this a lifesaver for the expense of Christmas.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

I am the same. No pressies, just bought cards today and to call the food cupboard a store cupboard is, at the moment, a great exageration.

I think Kim's idea is a good one. Friends and family wouldn't mind at all I'm sure. We are going to my sisters and I'm now beginning to wonder if we'll get there or not.

Hope it works out for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Was a bit better weather-wise here this morning and I did venture out, but not before doing a trial run to see where the bad roads ended. Not all that far, I was lucky and all main roads were absolutely fine. I should have made the best of it and gone shopping myself but "couldn't be asked" and was emotionally drained anyway so came home.

If this lot freezes tonight and we get forecast snow Wednesday or Thursday we will be without Christmas dinner, but I would be content with beans on toast. All present shopping has been done and I only have Kizzy and Pip's presents to wrap now.

If all goes well though, Wednesday will be out to Emsworth for meat and veg. We've already started baking our own bread but milk could be an issue - I'm sticking with herb tea and hot bouillon which is lovely.

Do hope that you manage to get out too Velvet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #6

We have about 14 inches here, up to the top of my wellies, our country road is unclassified, so not cleared...Our Postie is parking his van in the village and walking down to the house, bless him..
Have parcels still to come for christmas, luckily am managing to get to the shops, either my son or my hubby takes me...The dogs love it, been walking round the country roads with them..My daughter is due to fly from London Friday, does not look like she is going to make it....

But like you Velvet, getting fed up with it now...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #7

It's horrible being trapped inside with no mail, food getting low and presents not gotten.... I'm so sorry, sounds as if a lot of people won't be able to get together at the day....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #8

It was actually worse today. We had a lot of snow overnight. Its the ice i hate when temps plummet

Its not so much a feeling if depression as desperation My elderly mother thinks we should just hop into the car & go out as normally. Shes fed up in the house & so am I but that road out there is like an ice tomb.

I feel so bad as any thought of getting her a wee surprise for 25th is fast fading

I will have to see if I can sort something out with my brother regards food shopping. I combed the freezer tonight & got some diced lamb so will make something tasty with that tomorrow. I appear to have a freezer full of veg!! It would never worry me not to see meat again but my mum likes her red meat
At moment its -8.6 outside so goodness knows how much it will drop overnight.
Cleared the paved area again today for the dogs to get up into the garden & at tea time the paving stones were covered in thick layer clear ice. Saw programme
on TV were they were testing various things for home use like salt, salt grit etc & best to walk on was cat litter! So threw some of it down

How is everyone's cats faring in the snow? Is
it not awkward for them to
toilet. Just thinking how fastidious our two are, they have to have the right depth of litter & has to be the nice soft sandy type! I dont think they would appreciate snow.

Off now to let the dogs out to toilet & then off to bed myself. Take care & keep warm everyone

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Velvet I feel for you trapped in the house. I don't know where you are but the weather forcast for here is "sun" Thursday/Friday although still - tempratures; I will try to wish some on your direction. It was -7 here again last night and on top of another layer of snow which fellyesterday late afternoon/night/early morning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

How are you today Velvet? I noticed the time of your "today's" post - but that was last night in my book. We can't tell from your location whereabouts you are, but my guess would be somewhere in Scotland. You also sound pretty isolated - sorry that your elderly mum probably won't be getting her treat for The Day, but the main thing is that you are both safe and, hopefully, warm. It's a thin bit of comfort but it is worth quite a lot. My thoughts are with you and I do hope that conditions are no worse.

I had seen that about cat litter! I remember last January's snow time there was a run on cat litter down here!