Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

raw menu ideas

when everything has gone to plan and ive worked out what meats the cats like, i want to draw up a menu plan for them.
they arent going to be on raw completely.. they will still have dry biscuits left down for them, but i thought of replacing the wet pouch they have so 50g a day of meat with the raw instead.

they eat fish and this includes mackeral, sardines, pilchards, tuna, and salmon.

how many times can they have fish in a week?

i may try them on a chicken wing, and see how that goes, so they could have one of those once a week, then the other meals be chicken breast or something?

any help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Re: raw menu ideas

Sorry, as I've said in my other post, I've never fed raw and don't know the first thing about making sure that a cat has all the necessary nutrition.

Catsey Junior

20-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Sorry, as I've said in my other post, I've never fed raw and don't know the first thing about making sure that a cat has all the necessary nutrition.
they will still get all the nutrition they need from the dry thats left down.. wouldnt feel comfortable doing 100% raw with the cats. ive just ordered them som meowing heads salmon flavour..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

meowing heads??????

Catsey Junior

20-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
meowing heads??????
yes there is a barking head version for dogs... and all the dog people who feed it say its a good food so thought id give the cat version a go.

its 70% meat content so i imagine it to be quite good, its not too cheap either... we shall see what its like when it arrives.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #6

Quite a project you've embarked on there; I've no experience to make any suggestions. Mine are on 95% wet 5% dry, only raw has been the occasional bite for a treat. Good luck.

Catsey Junior

20-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

thanks. im keeping the dry biscuits as normal (just trying a different brand) so i know they still get everything they need, but then going to swap their pouch a day to raw instead.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

My two I switched to part raw a couple of years ago. As I've said I can only say from short term experience:

They have biscuits down for them all day to nibble on whenever they want, they don't overeat so I'm lucky there. One has her pouch for breakfast, 3 different high quality dry biscuits to biscuits to nibble on during the day, and they both have diced up fresh raw chicken breast once a day in the evening, most days, and mincemeat now and then.

But I know a lady who has a load of cats and just puts raw chicken wings for them to chew on along with mincemeat, pouches, and the odd bit of dry and they have all done and do really well on that, and with great teeth too!

I read somewhere they need bones and gristle so that might need looking into if you're going to do this properly I guess, I think that's what you're getting at..? I can PM you the lady's number if you would like to speak to her ref' her cat's raw diet as she seems quite 'au fait' with this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #9

http://rawfed.com/myths/cats.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

Velvet, thanks! What a very comprehensive, thorough helpful article. Anyone interested in feeding raw should Bookmark it.