Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

The Mystery Crop

Well, I am very much inclined to think that Eileen was right - it is a variety of sorghum, but it is only about 3 ft (or a metre or so) high. Can't actually find any alternative, so I'll say it's sorghum and therefore no longer a "mystery" crop! Certainly we have not noticed it being grown in this area of Hampshire/West Sussex before, although OH did find a website detailing it being grown near Lewes in East Sussex - but it was a much taller crop.

There is also rather a lot of it - being grown on both sides of the A27 in this area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Re: The Mystery Crop

Well, that was a lucky guess on my part. You may wonder what a City girl knows about sorghum: nothing ! But I once had stock in Pioneer Hybrid (before they were bought out by Dupont) and their annual stockholder report was very colorful with many pics of the crops their seeds produced; somehow sorghum stuck in my mind.

Edited: Googled and there is a dwarf variety.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

OH said it is becoming more common as it is used for a lot of Gluten free breads and is widely used in Asian/Indian cookery. Also used in animal feeds.

He can be a wee mine of information - I'd never heard of it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #4

Please thank your OH CM - I have been trying to find out how it might be used. Seems it can be a bio-fuel, but is very expensive. Looks a nice clean crop.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Sorghum is a cereal used a lot in Africa for human consumption. I'm sure it is one of the most used cereals in the world, and very important to Africa.
No idea why it is being grown here though.