Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #11

Re: Relocating? HELP

You are right there Emma............its not a rehearsal...........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #12

Yey!! Come to Reading Karen

Seriously though, I would echo what MrsH said; Southampton doesn't look too far on the map but I would balk at commuting there from Reading as M4, A34, M3 and M27 are all horrendous at peak times. My ex-husband travelled to Hamble daily back in the late 80s, and would have to leave home at 0630 and not return til 7pm!!

Southampton itself is quite rough but Eastleigh, Chandler's Ford, Lee on the Solent etc are all quite nice, smallish towns within shouting distance of Soton.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

The New Forest is lovely, but again the traffic can be horrendous.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
28-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #14

Kazz, I can't give you much practical advice because I'm well West here and a bit of a home body but I'm sure you will find ways to fulfil your dream, Go for it Girl!

Catsey Veteran

28-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Yey!! Come to Reading Karen

Seriously though, I would echo what MrsH said; Southampton doesn't look too far on the map but I would balk at commuting there from Reading as M4, A34, M3 and M27 are all horrendous at peak times. My ex-husband travelled to Hamble daily back in the late 80s, and would have to leave home at 0630 and not return til 7pm!!

Southampton itself is quite rough but Eastleigh, Chandler's Ford, Lee on the Solent etc are all quite nice, smallish towns within shouting distance of Soton.
Actually it would be in Chandlers Ford which is on the Royal Mail address as Eastleigh.
So not as far as Southampton.....so you think Chandlers Ford Eastleugh sort of area's are nice enough. Will have a look at varying property there. Ta

Mind you will have to apply for the job first

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #16

I think Chandlers Ford is very nice Kazz and not far from the New Forest. Also good beaches not too far away. I agree about traffic in the New Forest, terrible during holiday times especially.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #17

Cheapest 2-bed house I saw on Rightmove is a touch under £155k . . . which is a right bargain! I guess it's like any other area though - some good some bad, but overall it has a really nice feel. Personally I would rent for a while just to get a feel for the 'right' areas to buy.

Ex-OH and I were looking around there in the late 80s; I had the offer of a job in Eastleigh and he was at Hamble and we saw many nice starter-home places which were perfect for us then.

Kim's right; the area has a lot going for it - beaches, cities (some nicer ones like Salisbury and Winchester), forests + good road communications.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to chew things over.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #18

I will let you know got to get back to work first. But just mulling things over now renting will eb my plan either a room or houseshare first off.