Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
13-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #11

Re: Aggression for no apparent reason?

Update: Phoned the vet and they said to bring Tom in on Thursday morning, they know Tom bites so they're going to be ready to restrain him if he gets aggressive there.

Tom and Ebony are currently both after a fly that got in, so I'd better go before Ebony catches it and feeds it to Tom (last time Tom ate a fly Ebony caught for him it upset his tummy)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
13-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #12

Hope Tom is OK at the vets. My cats love flies, especially Barnes. Poor Tom, can't even enjoy a scrunchy fly. Nice of Ebony to get one for him though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
13-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Pearla is my fly catching queen, but has turned her attention to spiders now but i try and rescue my arachnid pals as I don't want her hurting them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
I'm going by what happened to him in the past, what I said did happen to him and we know that because the rescue told us his history. Cats do remember their past and I believe they can dream about it (although obviously I don't know for a fact they dream about it)

Also Tom does follow Ebony around and watches her with a "lovestruck" expression on his face, which is where I'm getting the Tom loves Ebony thing from.

Yes but you put your own personal slant on it i.e." because they are strangers he thinks he is being kicked out of his home again by them" when he is probably just fearful of strangers because he hasn't had a good association with people.
I don't doubt he has a good bond with Ebony but again "Tom thought they were here to take him and Ebony away" They don't reason, they are fearful because of their associations. They will feed off of each others emotions, i.e. Toms insecurities will put Ebony on edge while other times Ebony's more relaxed attitude will make Tom feel a little more secure.

Any how, good luck at the vets.

Catsey Veteran

14-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Pearla is my fly catching queen, but has turned her attention to spiders now but i try and rescue my arachnid pals as I don't want her hurting them.
Ebony likes hunting big crunchy juicy spiders, chewing their legs off and putting them in the bath for later

She offers them to Tom but Tom seems scared of spiders (if he sees one he runs away from it)

Tom says hi to everyone here, he's currently trying to grab my hand because apparently he doesn't like the fact I'm typing on here, he's in a mood today.

I honestly believe that if Tom wasn't living with Ebony he just wouldn't cope with living here (he does seem to need Ebony there, whereas Ebony is happy to share everything with him but I don't think she would mind too much if it was another cat here instead of Tom, Ebony seems fine with any cat - male or female)

Catsey Senior

14-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Its lovely that Ebony takes care of Tom, perhaps she likes doing it.

Barnaby loves spiders in the bath cos they can't get away.

I anthropomorphise all the time with all my animals, I also believe in reincarnation and that some animals and people have been here before.

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
Its lovely that Ebony takes care of Tom, perhaps she likes doing it.

Barnaby loves spiders in the bath cos they can't get away.

I anthropomorphise all the time with all my animals, I also believe in reincarnation and that some animals and people have been here before.
I've been watching her and I'm convinced she thinks Tom is her kitten (even though he's about 7 years older than her!)

Tomorrow morning is vet day - I haven't told Tom yet

Catsey Senior

15-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #18

Never thought of that Phoenix,, I think you are right. Since we got the lurcher pup Tess, if Fagin, the big lurcher, gets too rough with her, Gypsy, our other lurcher, bumps him away and growls at him. She gets very protective about Tess.

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

I've just tried touching Tom's upper back during a head stroke and got swiped at, I'm worried in case it's more than just arthritis causing him pain, I don't want to lose him

Catsey Senior

15-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #20

It could be an old injury that is causing him pain. The Big Fooze swipes me if I stroke his back or tummy sometimes. I think he gets tummy ache, I also think he has an old injury to his spine. I have old fractures on my feet that are from years ago,. A stirk trod on me while I was dehorning, I've dropped big stones on my feet while dry stone walling, I've been stamped on by lots of sheep. One foot in particular feels like someone is hitting it with a hammer, especially at night. I think this is due to damp and cold weather, maybe Tom is the same. Could he have any sort of fish oil on his food, would that help?