Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
10-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #1

When To Offer Water

At what age is it recommended to introduce water to kittens? Am I supposed to have a shallow bowl/saucer with water available for him all the time?

He's still eating a mixture of formula and soft kitten food but am wondering if there is enough water content for him now as he's growing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

Re: When To Offer Water

Yes, fresh water all the time timber-. Generally cats aren't huge water drinkers but they do need water and if they can be encouraged to drink it, it can help their kidney function over time, especially if they eat dry food (kibble).

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
10-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

I agree with Angie. Fresh water all the time, a shallow dish is a good idea. He'll soon get the hang of it, the little sweetie.

Catsey Senior

11-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #4

Thank you

Catsey Senior

14-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #5

I apologize for having a crazy amounts of posts here. I just noticed that lately I've been posting like crazy. I hope i'm not annoying anyone.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on teaching Cheddar to drink from his water dish outside of his room. Seems like he's got everything down pact in his room (litter box and drinking from his water dish), but he doesn't use the same things outside his room. I have tried offering him water during feeding time but he's not interested.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Please don't apologise for posts timber-!! That's what the forum is for and I am sure I can speak for others here when I say we are only too pleased to help out with information when we can, especially in relation to the handsome wee chap, Cheddar.

It's interesting you saying that he is fine in his room and drinks and not outside .... it's as if he's making the connection of his room/food/drink/litter tray, it's his territory and he feels safe enough to do all those everyday things there. Outside is different - maybe it just smells different to him. It is interesting, but not a worry really I don't think. If he is thirsty, he will drink but I have never known a cat to eat and drink like we would at "meal times". I'll be interested to see what others say.

Catsey Senior

14-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #7

I agree with Angie, his room is where he feels safe. He is a feral kitten and while he is eating or drinking he is vulnerable to attack. He will be instinct for him to make himself as safe as possible while his attention is focused on food and drink. My pampered moggies still like shelves, boxes, tops of drawers, anywhere that is easily defended. Like Angie says, he will drink when he is thirsty. If he has got the runs he will need to drink more. The vet may prescribe something to rehydrate him. An easy way to tell if he is dehydrated is to pull his fur up. If it stays stuck up he is.

Catsey Senior

14-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Please don't apologise for posts timber-!! That's what the forum is for and I am sure I can speak for others here when I say we are only too pleased to help out with information when we can, especially in relation to the handsome wee chap, Cheddar.

It's interesting you saying that he is fine in his room and drinks and not outside .... it's as if he's making the connection of his room/food/drink/litter tray, it's his territory and he feels safe enough to do all those everyday things there. Outside is different - maybe it just smells different to him. It is interesting, but not a worry really I don't think. If he is thirsty, he will drink but I have never known a cat to eat and drink like we would at "meal times". I'll be interested to see what others say.
I think it's interesting too agieh. He does go into the outside litter box and plays around in it but doesn't use it for its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
I agree with Angie, his room is where he feels safe. He is a feral kitten and while he is eating or drinking he is vulnerable to attack. He will be instinct for him to make himself as safe as possible while his attention is focused on food and drink. My pampered moggies still like shelves, boxes, tops of drawers, anywhere that is easily defended. Like Angie says, he will drink when he is thirsty. If he has got the runs he will need to drink more. The vet may prescribe something to rehydrate him. An easy way to tell if he is dehydrated is to pull his fur up. If it stays stuck up he is.
I called the vet this morning about him having soft stools, I will also ask about rehydrating if needed. Should I syringe feed him some water to get him going? That is how I got him to start eating soft food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #9

I wouldnt force him to drink. If he is getting wet food he will get moisture from it.

Catsey Senior

15-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #10

Just read about soaking kibble in water, he will drink by himself if he needs more water. He's survived so far under your care so you are doing a great job.