Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Re: Netbooks ? Anyone have one

Is that just your works own restrictions then Smudgley.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #12

I wonder how long they run before batteries have to be recharged? Think I'll Google and see if I can find a users site with FAQs after dinner.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
01-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Is that just your works own restrictions then Smudgley.
Yes, it is just company police, but it's for H&S reasons as they say it is not a good working practice to be on it for a length of time as the screens are so small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I wonder how long they run before batteries have to be recharged? Think I'll Google and see if I can find a users site with FAQs after dinner.
Batteries are good, seem to last well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #14

charlie bought one a couple pf months ago. he loves his, it had linux already on it. but he put a differnt linux on it an ubuntu on it.
charlie sez google ubunto on an acer one , and just have a read, any questions (as he speaks fluent linux geek) u have my email addy just ask

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #15

Thanks, BM, might just take you up on that offer. Hope Charlie has patience with a non-techy person!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #16

I had a look at them in the Airport and must say, they are a perfect size......Are you thinking of getting one DM??

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #17

Definitely tempted, Moli, once I learn a little more about them and their ease of use and capabilites. I didn't buy myself a Christmas present this year, so.....

Another dumb question: how do you know if wireless access is available where you live?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Definitely tempted, Moli, once I learn a little more about them and their ease of use and capabilites. I didn't buy myself a Christmas present this year, so.....

Another dumb question: how do you know if wireless access is available where you live?

Now this is where I am not technical at all, wireless and all that really confuses me. But this is how the mimi PC's work within my workplace. We all have a vodafone mobile Broadband USB stick. You plug it into your laptop or mini laptop and as long as there is a good vodafone reception where you are, you'll get a connection. It's called 3G. When you connect it will tell you if you have a 2G, 3G or 3G plus reception/connection where you are.
Again this is a kind of tool for "on the move" . I only use the stick when I'm travelling or if needed on a visit as I can get onto the internet via the laptop at work or home using a different connection (same as what I use with the PC)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #19

This is the (verbatim) reply I got from my very tech-savvy and tech-employed son when I asked him about notebooks, with a view to getting them for 'The Grannies'

"It’s a netbook (laptop mini) thing. So a low specification lapop. Linux wouldn’t bother you particularly, but you woulnd’t be running outlook, word and so on anymore you’d have to adjust to different programme. You might also notice some websites appear ‘different’ as you won’t be using internet explorer anymore and some web page designers are lazy and only make sure the site is perfect in internet explorer which (less so these days) dominates the market.
The Hard drive is 2GB, an probably ¼ of that will be used in storing programme files. So it’ll fill up quickly if you store everything on it (Eg the 3 pictures you mailed me are 1 Meg each, so a thousand of them would be 1G. ) What is nice about it is it’s solid state, no moveable parts and very quick, no waiting for ages for windows to start.
You can use memory sticks as storage to increase the capacity.
It’s low on memory so you’ll probably only be able to have one application open at one. Not sure how it would handle video.
Only a 7inch screen so you probably wouldn’t see all of a website at any one time and would have to scroll around to see it all.
It’d be happy with high res pics, but with the same caveat as above if they’re large in dimention you’ll either have to scroll or zoom out to see them all.
Think of it as a thing that’s only for email and internet and wouldn’t be used to install any other applications (printer, games, graphics package) on it.
]Ahh, you’re thinking Gran(s) are you? I think it’d be Granny suitable, but they’d need some form of internet connection as it doesn’t appear to have a build in analog (not broadband) mobile. Which means ongoing monthly expense."

Hope that might help you too DM

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #20

Very informative and thank you! I'd only be using it for e-mail and internet, so sounds exactly what I'd need. With my Mac I only have one site open at a time (may be possible to do more but if so I have no idea how), so that wouldn't be a problem. As to the bit about internet connection, i thought they were wireless...?? Wonder if it would work with my Earthlink connection that I already have ...... Small screen size doesn't bother me...both my TVs are 7".

I need to do some more research; the user sites I found last night were all very techy, not for beginners with very basic (probably dumb!) questions!