Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Netbooks ? Anyone have one

Or are familiar with them? I'd never heard of these until today; article in the business section of the paper. They're like laptops, only smaller, lighter, less powerful and less expensive. Plus they can run Linux, which is important; don't want to use Windows.
All I'd use it for is e-mail and Catsey.

And here's a dumb question for those of you with laptops... without a mouse, how do you navigate? I've only used my Mac and the library PCs which have mice .....

Any comments welcome, I'm intrigued by the netbook idea!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #2

Re: Netbooks ? Anyone have one

Hubby says they are good, do not have big memory, don't have have optical drive for DVD/CD'S, most do not have an RJ port they are mostly wireless, graphic card as not as good as in a normal laptop.They come with either XP or Linx...they XP one is more expensive.Any questions please do not hestitate to ask....

I am just typing what he is telling me!

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #3

Thanks, Moli. I'd never have any use for DVDs/CDs, not sure what a graphic card is (does that mean I couldn't see pics on the screen?) Nor would I want to upload pics on it, would do that on the Mac. As I said, all I'd use it for would be checking e-mail and posting/reading on Catsey...would be nice to be able to do that outside instead of here in the house.

And how do you navigate without a mouse???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

We have mini laptops at work. They are a new initiative and seem to be working well. I don't have one as I have a normal laptop.

You can use a mouse, but you navigate with a touch pad, they take a bit of getting used to initially. I love my laptop & have remote internet access so can get on line anywhere which is very useful.

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #5

That sounds interesting, Smudgley, thanks. May I ask what make you have at work?

And could you explain how a touch pad works? As I said, have never used a computer without a mouse.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

Eileen you can add a mouse to the majority of laptops and netbooks I believe. Although you navigate the pad it is dependant on size of latop notebook etc...a square that you sort of touch with your fingertip. Not as hard as it seems. The line arrow moves like it does if you touch the mouse...

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #7

Now you mention it that might be ideal for me..........

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Now you mention it that might be ideal for me..........

Take a look at this, Kazz. A tad pricy, but shopping around could probably do better. I'm quite intrigued..

http://www.linux-netbook.com/dell-inspiron-mini-9-16-gb-ssd-blac

Catsey Veteran

01-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Joining you in the intrigued club Eileen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
01-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

Not sure what make they are... something like Eezzy PC but have searched the internet & can't find them. They are good and have been brought in as a mobile device for people who travel / visit people so they can access the internal system en-route. however they have been told they can't use them for long periods & they must have a break if using them for more than 30 mins (this is just our company policy) but they have been told not to use them in the office, unnless they are just having a short session or checking e-mails. I've got some photos of the girls using them when we went to Scotland, I'll post them in this thread (may take me a while)