Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #1

help with mom rejecting her kittens

One of our cats gave birth in a neighbouring shed, we tried and tried to find where she had had them with no luck until last night when the neighbour traced them back to us.
they are now almost 4 weeks old and we brought them home and made them nice and warm etc. the problem is that now mom wont go anywhere near them, in fact she hisses and spits at them.
In all there are 6 kittens and 5 of them are eating a little mashed solid food, but one of them seems pretty weak.
I am off to get some provisions soon(milk, bottles) but am really at my wits end as to what to do for the best.
Any advice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #2

Re: help with mom rejecting her kittens

I'm not an expert and I hope someone will be along to help soon.
Just a couple of thoughts

Do you think Mum could have mastitis or even a womb infection, to make her feel bad? Perhaps a quick trip to the vet?

Kittens start eating about 4 weeks anyway, I think, so I hope the little ones will be OK

Good luck

Edit Sorry Yvonne - I forgot to say welcome to Catsey - hope you stay around and chat - maybe post some pics of mum & kits?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
05-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #3

There are a few reasons why a mother cat will reject her baby/babies. She may 'sense' that they are not right eg don't smell right after being handled or sick. She may even be sick herself.

A check up at the vets would definately be a good place to start tho

Catsey Junior

05-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #4

Thank you for your ideas,Mom does seem down so I think a trip to the vets might be in order.
Need to go there for some basic supplies anyway, once again thank you for caring.
Cats! wouldn't be without them but sometimes I just wish I could speak feline!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
05-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #5

Don't we all Yvonne

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 black moggies
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #6

Sounds to me like mum is sick or something and a visit to the vet is the best thing Maybe take the kittens with you as well so that the vet can check them over. I think someone told me that if you put some strong smelling fish on your hands and feed some to mother and then put a little on the babies that might help but I am not too sure about that so think the vets is the best thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
05-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #7

Hi and welcome to Catsey x

Violet, Mau Mau, Vincent and Mabel wave a paw x

I cannot help re. the kittens, but agree totally that maybe the vet is the best option, I am sure they will be very helpful.

Maybe you could post a few pics we love pics on here x

Catsey Junior

05-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #8

Hi,
Had a talk to the vet and she didn't think it was a good idea to disrupt them again quite yet, Minnie the moocher (mom) doesn't seem ill just more pee'd off.
Vet gave lots of good advice and sold us a mothering kit and some special kitten formula.
Kittens are very very active and vocal for such young things! they seem to think I am Mom now.
Only trouble now is that last week I took in a stray that my Mum found and couldn't keep, so mug that I am I said I would take it and advertise for the owner(no-one has claimed him yet)
Anyway, Geoffrey ( I know fatal to name them if you are supposed to not be keeping them) is about 9 weeks old and whilst the big cats wont have anything to do with him, he now seems to think that he has 6 little playthings,it's just a shame that he is a little rough with them.
I am hopeless with the digital camara but when the human partner comes home I will see if we can upload some pictures.
Yvonne x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #9

I was gonna suggest a vet trip for all concerned, but if you vet advises against it, then I just hope in time things will improve x

Welcome to the site by the way!

Catsey Junior

05-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #10

Hi, called into vets again tonight to get more of the feeding kits(2 teenagers here and 6 kittens, thought it might speed process)
Vet had nothing, recommended Jolley's pet shop, which I have to say had much more to sell and where very knownedgeble even though they were about to shut.
Anyway, kittens are fed, have gone to loo(oooh not nice, didn't know you had to help them) and are content, at least for now)
Now have to get some more time off work.
yvonnex