Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
28-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Bones off to the vet today

Well I've only been signed up here for one day and yesturday I noticed Bones (the one with Kidney disease) has runny slightly bloody poo, poor thing, hes booked in for 2.30 today so we'll hopefully see whats up with him, do you think it could be that we changed his food recently?
He needed another dental check up anyway and I suspect he'll need more teeth out, hes already had most of them out in the last 5 years, the vet says he's just unlucky & some cats just get bad teeth, if he needs another operation for removing teeth I may just say to take the rest out (I think he only has about 5 left) hes 12 and with his health problems it might be better to just get rid of them rather than wait until they rot again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
28-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #2

Re: Bones off to the vet today

I hope all goes ok with Bones at the Vet x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #3

Hope its nothing too serious, let us know how Bones get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #4

Some cats can be very sensitive to a change in food. Rover is - also gets the same symptoms. If I want to change his diet (as in now from kitten to cat-food), I have to do it very gradually. First just a smidge of the new with the old, then two smidges etc. Takes me about a week to get him on the new (normally I think they recommend two days?). I'm giving him two weeks to get "upgraded" from kitten-food to cat-ditto. I spend more time getting his meal right than ours. Different foods also do different things to different cats - just like people have their allergies and sensitive tums.

Catsey Junior

28-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #5

The vet thinks it could be the food too, but Bones had a antibiotic injection and has some kind of penicillin (Clavaseptin) tablets to take & some special food too.
Also he emptied the anal glands because they were full too (because hes had the runs).
We'll keep an eye on him over the next few days and hopefully that will be it.

He's got to go back in four months for more blood tests on his kidneys but the vet seems pleased with how hes looking so thats good. So far every test hes had on his kidneys showed they haven't got any worse than when we first discovered/started treating them Fortekor seems to be doing the trick.
Oh and his 2 back teeth had plaque all over them but the vet picked it right off and the teeth are still ok, hes only got 4! So all in all not a bad vet visit (although my purse disagrees!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
28-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #6

I am glad Bones is back home and on the road to recovery x

Catsey Junior

28-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #7

Me too, but I've just noticed Tango has the runs too now but hes litterally leaking from his but and I don't think hes noticed it! Phoned the vets back, the vet I saw has gone but hes booked in for 5pm with a different vet and will probably have the same injection and tablets to take as well as more food, I have to go to work but my bf will take him and ask about the cats and what happens if they all get it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #8

Oh dear, I hope that it isn't a bug that is going to sweep the household Hope both Bones and Tango will be feeling better soon..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #9

Oh dear, I certainly hope it isn't something that's going to run through the family! Poor guys, keep us posted.

Catsey Junior

29-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #10

Well thankfully Tango is feeling better after his injection and his tummy has calmed down, I was quite worried last night as he seemed quite dehydrated but is looking better today.
Bad news is it wasn't the food, Mitz doesn't eat the same foods as the others and she has come down with it today as has Rags, and Courtney isn't acting her usual self either but no signs of the runs for her yet.
Neither vet seemed that bothered about it so I guess just plenty of TLC for them over the next few days and they should be ok, I will have to keep a close eye on Mitz, Rags and Courtney because they haven't got the medication Bones and Tango have, hopefully won't have to call out the emergency vet!