Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
25-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #1

Gingivitis

One of our new arrivals has gingivitis

Has anyone else had/got a cat that has had/got gingivitis?

She has mashed up food but isn't eating much poor thing. She's such a sweetie tho and battles on. She's about 16months old and quite nervous aswell.

Her brother on the other hand is the picture of health and very handsome.

Will tell you the story behind these new arrivals later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
25-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #2

Re: Gingivitis

Sorry cant help you there, ut I would expect some anti biotics should do the trick.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #3

Hi there - am intrigued, so will check on your other posts.

Poor baby. I don't know either. A/bs sound possible and maybe she will be one of those pets who needs the gel stuff now and again, to give her teeth a clean up without toothpaste and brushing.
Keep us up to speed and maybe someone else can help - perhaps Smudgley...she's had experience of lots of cats, there could have been some with poorly mouths.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #4

DM I've just posted in the General Cat Chat area with the background story on these 2

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #5

Sometimes Gingivitis can only be cured by removal of teeth causing the infection. Or at the very least a general anaesthetic and a jolly good clean up of the teeth. However, if the tartar build-up isn't too bad then you can usually buy the tooth gel (Logic, I think it's called) and this will bit by bit eradicate tartar.

Good luck!!

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

Lots of articles on the 'net of course but I thought this one, by Dorwest Herbs (herbs & natural rememdies for pets) was interesting - especially the part where it says chewing raw food will help keep the teeth healthy. Makes sense doesn't it. (now even more keen on making sure the kits have at least some raw meat to gnaw. Our old cats used to have a rabbit portion each every saturday ... they spent an hour or more gnawing and the rest of the day washing and sleeping; like being in the wild?)

Sorry - I prattled! Here's the article

Healthy Teeth & Dental Hygiene For Cats

By Mary Boughton of Dorwest Herbs
Vice Chairman of the British Herbal Medicine Association's Veterinary Committee
Vice-chairman of the National Office of Animal Health's Companion Animal Sub-group

Good dental hygiene is extremely important for the health of your cat. The soft foods that are more often fed to animals these days tend not to provide the abrasive action necessary to keep the teeth clean and the gums as healthy as they should be. Raw meat diets are always the recommended food for natural health but in this context are especially useful as raw meat contains enzymes which help to keep the teeth clean. Cats kept on these natural diets will usually suffer less from teeth problems and have whiter, healthier teeth.

Gingivitis is a condition mainly seen in cats and the smaller breeds of dog. It is a minor infection of the gums with chronic inflammation which can result in the removal of teeth in extreme cases. It may be necessary for the veterinary surgeon to de-scale the teeth to remove any tartar that has built up and following this a good dental hygiene regime should be implemented. Regular, preferably weekly, cleaning of the teeth should be carried out to keep the teeth and gums healthy. Use a toothpaste that is especially formulated for veterinary use, being slightly more abrasive than ordinary toothpaste - more like the paste your dentist uses. Animals are not very keen on having anything that froths in their mouth, so the toothpaste should be low-foaming to cause less stress to the animal. Veterinary toothpastes usually have a meaty flavour to make it more acceptable and will help to turn the whole dental experience into a pleasure for both animal and owner.

If the infection is acute or severe antibiotics may be required, but thereafter it is helpful to give veterinary garlic tablets at the dose recommended by the manufacturer to help prevent recurrence in animals who are susceptible to this condition. Gingivitis may occur as a consequence of a more serious condition and therefore if it persists or becomes acute, it is essential to consult your veterinary practice for advice.

Tartar is the hard, chalky deposit that forms on the teeth which can not only become unsightly but enables bacteria to multiply and infect the gums and teeth, leading to bad breath, receding gums, loose teeth and sometimes more serious problems. Recently the homeopathic remedy Fragaria 3C has received a lot of publicity regarding its effectiveness in both reducing and preventing tartar build up on the teeth. It is made from a mother tincture of the fruit and root of Wood Strawberry. It has a treatment and a preventative role to play in dental health as results indicate that it both helps tartar removal and prevents future build up. For animals with tartar build up on the teeth it can be given on a daily basis, usually for about one month, to soften the tartar on encrusted teeth and so make it easier to remove Thereafter, giving just one pillule of Fragaria 3C once a week will help prevent the formation of further deposits and so is also ideal following de-scaling to prevent the build-up of new tartar. This will not only improve the appearance of the teeth but also cause less stress for your cat by making the weekly teeth brushing sessions less arduous and the teeth quicker and easier to clean. Nevertheless, regular brushing is the basis of good dental hygiene and if you are concerned about your cat's teeth at any time you should consult your veterinary surgeon

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #7

I used to use Logic on the dogs, they loved it

Thanks for that DM, it's a really intersting article. Spoken to the previous owners and they said that they checked up on the price for a dental on the cat, it was going to cost about £200. Will contact my vets later to see what they say.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #8

Good lord what do they class as a dental?

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #9

Sounds way too much to me too, even if the vets reckon it on a 'so much per tooth' basis.

Nae - what do you know about her health history? I ask because 16 months sounds awfully young to have what I (rightly or wrongly) think of as a disease of age. I searched on CP for gingivitis and (apart from yours) only came up with this post from Kay http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...ght=gingivitis
Do you know if she's been vaxxed or if she's been FIV tested?

Hope that's not scared you to death .... I swithered over whether to post or not, but if this baby is really poorly it would be better to know sooner rather than later. Hope I'm just adding 2 & 2 and making 45.

Good luck, and good wishes for their future - whatever it may be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #10

I was searching for that post then too DM - great minds eh - I would get her and her brother checked out by your own vet and before you try introducing them to Moli. Seriously.