Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
18-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #11

Re: May I offer a tip in the warm weather.

I might try that tomorrow - just put a bowl of water outside (I know I should have done it in the morning, but I would have forgot - this way I will see it in the morning and change it!!). I have added hot water before now. I can;t really use cat milk, the two overweight cats aren't allowed it, and Molly and Pebbles are fussy about it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Leia has never been a big water drinker in any weather, the only time I ever see her drink is a little bit after breakfast. She gets moist food twice a day and a small amount of dry at lunch, tea time & before bedtime. Doesn't adding water to the moist food make the gravy kind of runny? They don't mind that? Maybe I shoud try it...
Neither of mine do - and they are fussy (spoilt ) try adding a little at a time ie first add a tablespoon full mix in well then move up to a couple, yes it does make the gravy runny but they don't seem to mind in fact mine drink the gravy before eating the meat in the warmer weather.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
18-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #13

Mine have been drinking from the bowls ive placed outside, including the neighbours cat - I think that idea of adding extra water is excellent - I will try it x

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #14

Hope to God now it works.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz

Neither of mine do - and they are fussy (spoilt ) try adding a little at a time ie first add a tablespoon full mix in well then move up to a couple, yes it does make the gravy runny but they don't seem to mind in fact mine drink the gravy before eating the meat in the warmer weather.
Well, I tried it. Fiasco!! Only added a teaspoon as I suspected Leia wouldn't like it, but it sounded like a good idea...this was Fancy Feast Chicken...she'd had the first half of the tin at breakfast & likes it (she gets half in the morning and half at dinner). She carefully scraped the place mat over it to show me it was awful...that's what she does, but often will give in & eat whatever it was she didn't fancy...not THIS time. I uncovered it, she covered it again. About an hour later it was still uneaten and she was weaving through my legs in the kitchen making small, very hungry cat noises...so, being the spineless thing that I am, I opened a tin of her Beef in Gravy which vanished in about 3 gulps!! Like Rover, she can teleport her food! Anyhow, it didn't make the predicted 100 degrees F, only 97, and there have been t'storms off to the North and West; temperature has dropped to 78 degrees! So, will not worry about her getting dehydrated; good tip, but Leia didn't think so!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #16

Thank you.......thank you.......thank you Kazz!!!!

As I have said before, I have never actually seen Cassie drink any water but..........a teaspoon full on her small meals (I'm still giving her 6 a day), mixed in, and she is gulping the lot down!!!

I feel a lot better now that I can see she is taking in some water during this very hot spell!

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #17

As I said its only a tip, if it works great if not we've lost nothing.

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
19-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #18

I am adding a teaspoon or so of bottled water to India's milk in the hot weather, and I nearly always add water to her meat - I squash it up for her anyway so the water is well mixed in and any 'wet' is licked up before the meat. She doesn't seem to be eating so much as usual but all the milk is going and she is shouting for more. I also never see her during the day, she is well hidden under the bushes. We are supposed to be cooling down tomorrow and with scattered showers - perhaps I will get a good night's sleep!! Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #19

Just tried this out on both of mine, for their last couple of meals, no problem at all and they loved their 'soup' lol

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #20

Cassie is really enjoying hers still.....I think this is going to become a regular habit now...even in winter!!