Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
23-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #31

Re: Pebbles is going to have to go back to the vets again

I have been in a similar situation, only it was a dog. You know your cat. My advise is go with your heart. I have sent you a pm.
Thinking about you both.
Jac xx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
23-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #32

I am still not comfortable with my decision, but yet when I look at my reasons for not going through with it, I know they are good reasons not to put her through anything else - I think I just want to see someone who will be able to either say 'yes, they are still pre-cancerous, or no, they have turned'. Might ring the vet the rescue use tomorrow, and see if they will see her for me - is that allowed? I have just reminded myself that she has had 3 ops while I have had her - she was the only cat I have had a dental done on that has had to go back, she had complications after the second that 3 vets had never seen, and the third (and most worrying) was she was put on a drip during the op and still took quite a while to come round - while her blood tests earlier this year showed no organ probs, she has had two ops and a sedation for x-rays since then, I have a feeling I am going to end up getting her blood tested again this year, esp if she does continue to lose weight. She is happy in herself though, which is a good thing. My friend (who i got her off) was round earlier - PEbbles sat on the stairs looking haughty, and when my friend stood up to say hello to her, she turned her head away, and refused to acknowledge her - her ears twitched, but she wouldn't look at her - she would look at me though!! It was incredibly funny - she has only seen her once since her amputation though, and didn't come round as much while we were having all the issues. Thanks for the pm Jac.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
24-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #33

I can't think of a single thing you've done wrong so far. You've weighed the options and have chosen the path that will give her the best life. You reassess now and then to make sure it's still the smoothest one. Of course you don't want to lose her! Especially not if it's to something that may perhaps have been treatable as that will be very hard for you, but you've only taken away the extra *uncomfortable* years she *may* have had, none of the good bits of happy cat-life.

Almost a Veteran Member

24-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #34

Thank you very much, that makes me feel a lot better. Am still going to ring the other vet, as I just want someone to say if it has turned cancerous or not, I am still not going to go through with treatment. I doubt if it has turned that I will put her through a nose removal, there is a risk of sinus probs (no point taking cancer away if you are going to leave the poor cat with a lifetime of sinus issues) and I just dont want to put her through anohter op at this point in time.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #35

Knowing what you are dealing with is always much better. Hope you can get a second opinion without too much bother.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #36

Seems to me you've made all the right decisions for Pebbles. Her quality of life is what it really comes down to in te end. Good luck with the second opinion!

Almost a Veteran Member

26-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #37

i have spoken to the other vet, and they are willing to see her for me to see what they can say. From how they were questioning me, I think they are quite surprised that my vet hasn't done a biopsy to confirm this, and also that they haven't put her on steroids, they say it is normal for this kind of thing and works well. So we are going tomorrow night (hope it isn't too hot by the time we go) and hopefully I will have some answers then. Not sure if steroids will be appropriate as she is such a nightmare to pill!

Almost a Veteran Member

28-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #38

the new vet was lovely (thinking of changing), and said that it is mild (he isn't 100% sure it is SCC without a biopsy, and as it is so mild, doesn't want to do it yet), and hopefully with steroids it can be kept at bay for years. If the injection he gave her last night doesn't work, then we might have to do a biopsy though!!

Catsey Veteran

28-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #39

Glad you finally found a lovely vet! Makes everyones life so much easier. And *great* news about the nose!! So happy for you both. You can relax and enjoy things again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #40

That's wonderful news, BT!!! Let's hope the steroids will do the trick & that she has many more happy and healthy years...new vet sounds like a winner!