Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
13-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #21

Re: Pebbles is going to have to go back to the vets again

Has she lost weight because she needs to do more work to get around on three legs? Extra exercise will take weight off, then you get some back (muscles weigh more).

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
15-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #22

I hope it is something like that - do you think that can explain such a big loss though? I do hope she has gone up again by her next weigh in, i was hoping to have her on every other month weigh ins, rather than every month.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #23

I think it can. Just. She will have felt a bit disorientated with everything being slightly different at home while getting used to three legs. That would have put any of my past cats off their food a bit. Combine that with getting used to,not only carrying more weight per leg, but also using muscles she hasn't up to now (or used in a different way) , I'd say it's a fair assumption. But again - you know your cat - you *know* if there is something you should worry about.

Almost a Veteran Member

15-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #24

She hasn't really been off her food, and that is why I was puzzled at such a weight loss - I had expected some, as I had thought her spine was feeling a bit bony, but everytime I move the biscuit jar, she is sitting looking at me expectantly, and I do tend to give in with her (as I do with Molly, as they both need to put weight on). I think it is more of a concern with her as we have always had weight issues, I had hoped that the amputation would have changed things, but obviously not.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #25

Give her a chance, it's not been *that* long since the op.
I can just imagine her magically appearing and looking expectant when you move that jar.

Almost a Veteran Member

15-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #26

I know, its just that she was very nearly 4kg with only 3 legs, so I thought that we might have got over the weight issue, so to find out 7 weeks later she has lost 0.4kg is a bit worrying. Will just have to try giving her extra rations I think, and maybe a/d once a week. I wouldn't say magically appearing - she practically lives in my bedroom, so eats in there too, and all her food is in here. She has been outside again today, and seemed to really enjoy herself, had a couple of catnip leaves and a play too. And am just going to pray that her scabs are still pre cancerous and that they stay like that for a long time, as the vet said there are concerns about sinus probs after a nose removal, so prob wouldn't put her through that if they ever do turn.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #27

Much better if she can live a happy life for the years she has left, without more operations. She does sound happy and well in herself.

Almost a Veteran Member

15-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #28

That is how I am lookign at it, and jsut hope that it is years that she has left. Poor Ginger has already outlived a few cats!!

Almost a Veteran Member

23-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #29

One of the latest scabs is looking bigger now, and I do still keep doubting my decision not to go through with the cryotherapy, despite the reasons being the research I did shows it only has a 70% chance of working - and then only if the scabs are under 1cm in diameter (not sure how big hers are), the median disease free interval is 14 months, and she would need a sedation for each lot of treatment - the original figure mentioned was 3, and I don't think i can afford to put her through anything else that might stress her and cause her weight to go down even more - she is nearly back at the weight she was when seh came 18 months ago, and while she only has 3 legs now, she didn't lose all that much after the op.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #30

You know Pebbles better than anyone; the vet will know the medical theory ... you've got to meld the two I guess?
Good luck!