Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

22-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #31

Re: May I ask for everybody's input on this please.

i am so glad I read this, Dawn, thanks for reminding me.

One of mine is due her vac next week. And nothing from vets (only been with them a year).

Mine are all done, canine and feline, because we use a cattery/kennel when we go away, and also because we foster.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #32

Jasper (dog) was done every year but that was because Jasper was a PAT dog and it was a requirement that he had to have his vaccinations.

Moli has had her kitten vaccines but not sure if I will be letting her have the booster.

The one vet I see doesn't think that dogs or cats should have their booseters every year but the lady vet we see is really pushy. She's rather stuck up too, put this way if her head was any further up her nether regions she'd turn herself inside out

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 black moggies
23-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #33

I only get my dogs and cats done for the 1st 2 years and then only every 5 years My vet is good and not just after the money and he says that it is not good to have them done each year as it could effect their immune system so I go on what he says I do insure them but the insurance will cover everything except an illness that it should be vacinated against and they are few and far between Sometimes I think that some vets are just after the money and some just dont know that it is not a good thing to give a booster each year Think of it this way if your child has a jab for measles they dont need a booster each year and that it what my vet said to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #34

My vets always send out reminders but they don't push it any further. I vaccinate the cats I am showing (you have to show an up to date vaccination card at vetting-in at every show) and the girls I breed from every year. The others I do every 3 years. The dogs get their boosters every year due to being kenelled occasionally.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
10-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #35

All my own animals are vaccinated annually. (katey, will be having her first next week as she is about 10 weeks old now) and I pay for any foster animals to have their boosters or first vaccs etc..

As I have 3 different vets, they're all different. One of them is very much money orientated, but the other two aren't. Its only the money orientated one that used to send me booster reminders, and tried to sell me doG knows what each time I went. Hence I just use them for the small furries as they are the best for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
All my own animals are vaccinated annually. (katey, will be having her first next week as she is about 10 weeks old now) and I pay for any foster animals to have their boosters or first vaccs etc..

As I have 3 different vets, they're all different. One of them is very much money orientated, but the other two aren't. Its only the money orientated one that used to send me booster reminders, and tried to sell me doG knows what each time I went. Hence I just use them for the small furries as they are the best for them.
Yep, we have a few like that round here Amanda.
dawn.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
10-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #37

Cheetah has had her kitten vacs and that's it. She's an indoor cat so does not come into contact with other cats.

My parents only ever had the kitten vacs for their cats too and never had any problems (they were outdoor cats).

When I got Cheetah I researched homophathic nosodes as an alternative and in my quest for information I rang around all the vets in my area they all insisted on yearly vacs and then I came to my final number and.... an elderly chap answered the phone - seems he was now retired (but yellow pages still had his number). He told me he believed it was a rip off industry and that vaccinations last up to 7 years!! And if that wasn't the case then why don't humans get vaccinated every year too? He said it was just a money making scheme for the vets and drug companies to get richer.

Aside that, because of my background and knowledge of all the detox and how chemicals etc have an impact on our immune systems - I am not in favour of over vaccination and would rather my cats just have their kitten jabs. jmo.

PS anyone read this:

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8003

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
10-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az
I hadn't seen that.. quite interesting though... makes you think

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #39

My cats have had their initial vaccinations, but having read a lot of articles on the pros and cons of prolonged vaccinations have decided against keep getting them done.
Not sure if this is right or wrong, but my old cats were with me for 16 years before strokes took both of them and present cats of the last 4-5 years all seem to be healthy.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
12-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #40

I have actually changed vets since posting, and my new vet believes in vaccinating for everything until the day they die. He did admit that some do cover for life, but others are rubbish (not his word, his was stronger) so need to be done more often. They have seen a lack of people wanting to vaccinate against FeLV, so have increased the price of the 'normal' jabs so it isn't that much more to have hte FeLV jab, which I think is very naughty.